Bacteria.. Dose Whole Tank?

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've posted recently about my plattie that has a suspected case of columnaris.

It has a white cloudy film over 1/3 of it's body (all of its head and down its back including it's left eye which is cloudy white). He's also flashing. Another plattie has it A LITTLE bit but no flashing.

Regardless of what the actual diagnosis is, are all bacterial infections present throughout the entire tank? Those are the only two fish that have shown any symptoms. I don't want to dose the entire tank if it's only those two fish that could be put in hospital tank and dosed there.

I'm concerned for disturbing the BB, stressing the other fish, and the snails / plants that are in the main tank. I also JUST finished up a round of API Gen Cure treatment. I'm afraid dosing the whole tank with Furan-2 would put undo stress on the 'healthier' fish.

Thanks

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would. More than one person on the forum has lost their entire tank to columnaris. Bacteria and other pathogens seldom operate in isolation. The other fish may be carriers, even if they aren't showing symptoms.

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
maggie thecat said:
I would. More than one person on the forum has lost their entire tank to columnaris. Bacteria and other pathogens seldom operate in isolation. The other fish may be carriers, even if they aren't showing symptoms.
Thanks, I'll begin dosage tonight. Any adverse effects of Furan-2 on Plecos or invertebrates such as snails.. or plants?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Follow the instructions to the letter. Including the water changes recommended. Don't forget to remove carbon or other chemical agents from your filter.

Snails are really only sensitive to copper based treatments. The pleco should be okay too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom