Bacteria Blossom - New Tank

Strider1520

So I have had a bad bacteria blossom going on - 18 days on new tank. Water is very milky and if you look close you can see very time white stuff floating in water. Blossom has been going on for about 6 days or so. (Picture doesnt really show milkiness - looks worse than picture shows). I have lowered filter flow, increased filter flow to max and lowered and raised the flow through airstone. From what I have read - seems like just let it be and it should go away?

I have filter and air on max because it sounds like the bacteria take oxygen which may deplete some in the water for fish.

Not sure if this is just leaching of silica from new sand in tank (it was washed thoroughly before putting it and water in tank. It could even be dead bacteria from the bottled TSS+ originally put in (I am the one that put TSS+ in 30 minutes after Prime on initial start up and then went to Stability for 8 days - so in case the bacteria in TSS+ was killed by either the Prime locking up ammonia that fed it in the tank or lack of ammonia in tank itself - I didnt put fish in until the next day). Anyway...........just checking - My question is that I just leave the bloom (blossom) run it's course and it will go away?

I dont think I want to add a flocculant right now while tank is still in cycle (18 days on tank - 16 days with fish - 3 days since last Stability). FIsh are active. Water is just very milky and diatoms are blossoming as well.

Temp 77 - pH 8.0 - Ammonia 0.25 - Nitrite 0 - Nitrate 0

Thanks.
Photo

Attachments

• C109C111-1BFD-4873-9E84-5AD2B95FFC42.jpeg
    C109C111-1BFD-4873-9E84-5AD2B95FFC42.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 144E4BF4-AE4D-467C-8889-FB3EFC1A6217.jpeg
    144E4BF4-AE4D-467C-8889-FB3EFC1A6217.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 17

Nopsu

"the cloudiness is most likely caused by the free roaming bacteria and nitrates that are getting used to the new environment." this is probably what's happening since its a new tank and it should clear up eventually. There can be other causes I would look into if it doesn't clear up by time
How long has the water been milky?
I suggest you wait 7—10 days for now.

Then look into some other causes after you gave it good time like high pH you have but your pH in tank should go down a bit with your cycle since ammonia raises it and nitrites and nitrates are acidic and make it lower or so ive understood.

Just keep waiting i say and make enough water change to keep ammonia low =)
And for the diatoms they are very very common in new setup, i just scrub it with old toothbrush from deco and clean glass with old cards

Upvote 0

alven

Oh yeah, like the post above says; it'll clear up eventually. It happened to my fish tank a few days ago, but it cleared by itself. A bacterial bloom is basically an increase in certain bacterial colonies, not exactly beneficial bacteria, but contribute to the breakdown of organic waste in your tank. :D

Upvote 0

Strider1520

Appreciate the feedback as always! Greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
Mendjan
  • Question
Replies
Views