bacteria bloom?

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
haha we need a minicycle section.

I have been struggling to get my 10 gallon tank to stay cycled, even with weekly 50% water changes.

i have a spone filter and a small aquatech filter i just added in order to help (i took it out a while ago because it blew they fry all over the tank)

My ammonia has finally gone down (again...) and i see no nitrite and little nitrate, but there is a milky plumes flowing through the water. I have no idea what it is, except that is cloudy and has texture that visably moves within the current, it is not a soild density. it is hard to describe and impossible to photograph (for me at least)

I only have 3 juvenile zebra danio, about 15 fry, and two cherry shrimp (the others died due to ammonia i assume) lots of java moss, and gravel.

is this toxic? what did i do wrong? ( i went out of the country for a week while my dad cared for the tank and i returned to this...)

I want to do lots of water changes, but my mom argues that more than one will stress and kill my fish and shrimp...

any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Kyle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi there,

That milky plumage stuff, sounds like what I had in my 29 gallon during its recent cycling. It sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. Is it plausible your Dad overfed by quite a bit while you were away? If it is a bac bloom it won't hurt the fish, and if you're getting No Ammonia/Nitrite and some Nitrate then it should stay fine... Again if it is a bacterial bloom(it definetly sounds like it to me) water changes will not help. the bacteria that are in a bacterial bloom and that you are seeing (heterotrophic bacteria) are the ones that break down organics. They reproduce at a rate of a generation every 15-30 minutes (vs. the autotrophic filter bacteria that take approximately a day to do the same) so doing water changes every 30 minutes would only keep it at its current level.

Not sure what else it could be if it isn't a bacterial bloom. Just keep an eye on the fish, the Ammonia build up could have stressed them out, but if the fry (what kind of fry are they?) are still alive that bodes rather well Eventually the heterotrophic bacteria will eat all the extra food (presuming your dad overfed) and die off to a normal level where they no longer cloud the water. If your Ammonia and Nitrite stay 0, don't worry about doing excess water changes, but keep an eye on those readings for a while

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that you have a cloudy tank. I believe it could be a bacterial bloom too. Not to worry, it isn't harmful and it should eventually go away on its own and with the help of regular water changes and substrate vacuums. Give it some time.

Here is a link that you may find helpful:
https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

One more:

Hang in there!

Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ken and Kyle already talked about the bloom, so I'm going to go off-topic and talk about your difficulty keeping your cycle. Try to add more filter media and decorations to your tank. Your beneficial bacteria needs plenty of surface area to adhere to. You can add filter floss, etc.

If this doesn't help, then more frequent water changes and lessening your stock will.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good advice from meenu i started out tryin not to have a lot of decor in my tank and had trouble with the same thing i have since added driftwood and other decor snd plants and my tank is much better off as for the bacterial bloom i had one recently ju watch for ammonia spikes

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh thanks for the wonderful advice! it has since disappeared, but it was the second time this week it has happened, so i was worried. I will add gravel from my 29 as well as some decorations i have lying around. my water conditions strangely seemed to have improved with the bloom (i assume that they ate the ammonia and nitrite?)

As soon as these fry are big (they are glofish BTW) i will give them to my schools science department and change to a cherry shrimp/endlers live bearer natural planted tank which will hopefully be easier to keep cycled.

I am glad it is not toxic. Once the food is replenished and the bacteria starve, will they themselves create a new spike in ammonia as they die and decompose?

this tank has been so hard to cycle! i dont think i have to many fish, but i defiantly overfeed because i want to make sure all the babies get their meals! ad i am sure my dad did overfeed and did not remove the excess food.

Will a bacteria bloom help a cycle by spreading bacteria to help them colonize, or will it hurt it by depleting the other bacteria of food? (just curious )

thanks for the help

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads