Bacteria Bloom With Tetra Safestart

jazmin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi all,

my family has recently started a new tank about a week ago. on thursday we finally put in tetra safe start and within 24 hours added 3 glofish to the tank. i suspect it’s starting to have a bacteria bloom. i tested the water and it still says .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate from day one of putting in the safestart to now after two days is this just the start of the cycle? should i wait it out or do a water change?

my fish seem to be doing alright i believe. my purple fish has been nudging the gravel all day and nipping at my decor in the tank, and the other two sometimes go to the top like they’re wanting air. should i put in a air stone?.

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cloudy is a sign of a bacterial bloom, and yes you are in the very start of your cycle.

You should NOT do a water change while you're cycling. The only time you should do a water change while you're cycling is if the ammonia test reaches higher than .5ppm (or about mid-way down your tester color chart). Anything above .5 is toxic enough to cause damage and ammonia at 1.0ppm is high enough to suffocate fish. As long as you can keep it under or around .5 at it's highest point, you shouldn't need a water change. Once ammonia gets about there, it should start to decrease (this first increase/decrease happens within the first 1.5weeks).

At that point, ammonia should be close to 0 on its own and you'll start testing nitrite. (0 NH4, .25NO2, 0NO3). you'll see a rise/fall pattern with nitrite as well (same parameter conditions apply, where .5ppm is the cutoff for water changes, nitrite is also toxic to fish in high concentrations) though the second bacteria colony usually takes slightly longer to establish than the ammonia colony (between 2-3.5weeks).

Once ammonia and nitrite balance out naturally, (once the nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria colonies establish and begin oxidizing enough ammonia/nitrite to keep them at a controlled amount (0) naturally) then you'll start seeing nitrate, which is the end waste product of the nitrite cycle and is not very toxic to fish in high concentrations. (however will contribute to excessive algae growth if above ideal parameters. i.e. between 5-20ppm) It usually takes about 4-5weeks to start seeing nitrate.

I wouldn't add anymore fish to the tank until the cycle has completed. Consider these 3 fish the starter fish. Your ammonia shouldn't get too high as long as the amount of fish in the tank stays low while cycling is occurring.

Out of curiosity, are these glowfish the longer, skinnier (usually cheaper) glofish. Or are they the larger, rounder, (usually more expensive) glofish? Glofish brand uses 3 species of fish as their schoolers, Skirt tetra, zebra danio, and tiger barbs. If you picked up the danio or the tiger barbs, they're very hardy and should do well through cycling. If you went with the skirt tetra, they may be a little more delicate during cycling (so keep watch for ammonia when it starts to spike). Hardy still, but also slightly more delicate.

jazmin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
all three are skirt tetras as that’s what mom wanted.

as for the going to the top of the tank. they seem to like to play with the bubbles at the top from the filter, should i add in a air stone to satisfy them?

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you'd like an airstone it wouldn't hurt anything. It would help oxygenate the water too. I wouldn't say the fish need it but they may appreciate it.

Just keep up on your tests and watch for anything above .5ppm (or about halfway down your color chart). If things get too high then do a water change. Otherwise, enjoy the cycling process. What you're going through is considered a 'fish-in' cycle.

jazmin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea i read up on the cycle for quite a while but still wasn’t completely sure about it so thank you, i will definitely keep testing. just tested today so i’m probably gonna wait 4-5 days unless they seem stressed

any idea about the nudging the rocks?

Last edited:

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did you use the while bottle of Tetra Safe Start?

If water becomes cloudy, that is normal and sometimes called "new tank syndrome".

It is a different type of bacteria than the "beneficial bacteria" for the nitrogen cycle that colonizes on the surfaces in the tank and filters.

The cloudiness that may or may not form is a type of bacteria that stays in the water column, but goes away after tank becomes established. Overfeeding and not performing a vac of the gravel (causing buildup of organic matter) sometimes starts the bloom.

Here is a (link) you may find helpful to a thread on forum about adding media to your filter to boost mechanical and biological filtration. Methods and examples given are both inexpensive and effective.

jazmin

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the whole bottle yes as my tank is a 25 gallon.

since tetra reccomends not doing any sort of water change until the 14th day i’m just gonna wait it out and see. unless the fish seem off. also adding in a air stone because i don’t think there is enough oxygen in the tank as the fish keep coming to the top of the tank seeming like they want air.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom