Bacteria Bloom While Cycling?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by robbversion1, Apr 15, 2017.

1. robbversion1

robbversion1 New Member Member

I started fishless cycling my 20gal last week and added Safestart a few days ago. Day or two after added the safestart I noticed a pretty significant film developing on my crypts and wooden log. The wood appears to be ok but the crypts are seriously melting because of it.

I've attached some pictures so could someone tell me if its bacteria or should I be more worried?

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If these crypts were just planted, they are probably experiencing some melt which is not uncommon and is not related to the bacteria supplement you added. I would leave them in as they most likely will bounce back. Are you dosing any ferts/root tabs? What kind of light do you have?

3. OP
    OP
    robbversion1

Yea they were just planted a week ago. I've been dosing Flourish but no root tabs. As for the light, I've been using the standard light that came with the tank hood. When I get home I could probably find out how many watts they're putting out

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    robbversion1

Also is the film bacteria?

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

No, you can't see bacteria with the naked eye.

You'll probably need a better light than those stock lights which aren't meant to grow plants with. Root tabs will help as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice