20 Gallon Tank Bacteria Bloom or did i make a big mistake. please help

tonyg13
hi I just recently started my 20 gallon tank about a month and a half ago. my water has zero ammonia zero nitrates and about 20 nitrate. about 2 weeks ago I started adding fish, just yesterday I added about six more fancy guppies, and I noticed by the end of the night my water started to look cloudy/hazy. I was wondering if this could be from adding a large amount of fish. i’ve done some research and it says not to do a water change because that just makes the cloudy bacteria come back stronger. should I just let my water clear up on its own and just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites? once I saw my water getting cloudy I checked my parameters again and I am still at zero ammonia zero nitrates and 20 nitrates.

Advertisement
ruud
It's typical for tanks that are not mature, or better expressed, not resilient. A tank that is resilient houses a diverse combination of microbes that can handle change relatively well. Ammonia oxidizing microbes are just a tiny part of this community.

A new tank and/or tanks without plants and/or tanks that are being cleaned form time to time, have much less microbial complexity. A sudden increase in organic compounds (guppies....(over)feeding....poop) results in a steep rise in microbes (bacterial bloom) which is possibly followed by an infusoria bloom.

Stop feeding your fish for a few days and perhaps lower the temperature a bit during these days. When you introduce new fish, I would do this by definition.

tonyg13
It's typical for tanks that are not mature, or better expressed, not resilient. A tank that is resilient houses a diverse combination of microbes that can handle change relatively well. Ammonia oxidizing microbes are just a tiny part of this community.

A new tank and/or tanks without plants and/or tanks that are cleaned, have much less complexity. A sudden increase in organic compounds (guppies....(over)feeding....poop) results in a steep rise in microbes (bacterial bloom) which is possibly followed by infusoria bloom.

Stop feeding for a few days and perhaps lower the temperature a bit during these days. When you introduce new fish, I would do this by definition.
do you recommend for me to do anything like water changes? or shall I just keep an eye on my ammonia and nitrites?

Azedenkae
hi I just recently started my 20 gallon tank about a month and a half ago. my water has zero ammonia zero nitrates and about 20 nitrate. about 2 weeks ago I started adding fish, just yesterday I added about six more fancy guppies, and I noticed by the end of the night my water started to look cloudy/hazy. I was wondering if this could be from adding a large amount of fish. i’ve done some research and it says not to do a water change because that just makes the cloudy bacteria come back stronger. should I just let my water clear up on its own and just keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites? once I saw my water getting cloudy I checked my parameters again and I am still at zero ammonia zero nitrates and 20 nitrates.
In your research, was there a reason given as to why a water change supposedly ‘makes the cloudy bacteria stronger’?

Also, how did you cycle your tank?

ruud
do you recommend for me to do anything like water changes? or shall I just keep an eye on my ammonia and nitrites?

It depends on the contents of your (tap) water. If you don't know, I would not conduct water changes. Just stop feeding for a week.

tonyg13
In your research, was there a reason given as to why a water change supposedly ‘makes the cloudy bacteria stronger’?

Also, how did you cycle your tank?
I did a fish in cycle with three cory catfish(which are all alive doing well) I dosed daily seachem stability and did a water change almost every day when I saw my ammonia and nitrite rise. obviously then when doing the water changed I used prime

and as for my research, apparently the bacteria that make the water cloudy eat all the new minerals from the new tapwater are you add, and the bacteria (cloudy) doubles

i recently just added some new fish my to my tank. my tank has zero ammonia and zero nitrite and about 20-30 nitrate. i noticed about a day after adding my fish it seemed a little bit cloudy. Only problem is, i also added some extra substrate to my tank the same day(i did rinse it prior) i was wondering if this looks like a bacteria bloom from adding fish? or does it look like dust from the substrate? i’ll take any suggestions !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 16
A201
Most likely cloudy due to new substrate. Bacteral blooms are similar looking. Both situations are harmless.

SparkyJones
Since we will be vague about details and length of time,
If it settles and clears up in 24 hours it's dust. if it is still hovering 2-3 days later, it's a bacterial bloom or diatoms. Diatoms will usually suspend more and get cloudier the longer the light is on, while a bacterial bloom generally doesn't care about the light.

in all cases, leave it be, do your regular water changes to keep your nitrates low, and it will clear up in time and all settle in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views
Comet-Aurum
Replies
Views
AllieSten
Replies
Views