Bacteria and Cycling...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Dom90, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

So I'm trying to cycle two tanks at the same time, a 29g and a 40 Breeder. I want to make this as quick and as painless as possible (yes I will be using some filter media from my 75). I'm doing a fish less cycle with Seachem Stability. So my question is will I get better/faster results if I pour the stability directly onto the biomax balls or does it not matter?

Btw, I wasn't sure where to put this topic...
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Pour it into the tank. It will attach itself to rocks, the glass, the decorations..and then through filter and bioballs. You need as much surface area contact as possible.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you are Seeding the 2 aquariums with established filter media, then using a bacterial additive may be over kill and not necessary. Check out the information below concerning Seeding:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/66727-please-remember.html

If you use enough established filter media and ornaments from an established aquarium the bacterial additive should not be necessary. Seeding should give you an instant cycle if you have used enough. :)

Ken

(Thread moved to Aquarium Water/Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum)

4. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Thanks for the advice! I had an extra bottle of Seachem Stability sitting around so I figured it wouldnt hurt to have an extra advantage. I also dont want to use too much media from the established tank, because I'm afraid it may cause a mini-cycle? Then I'd be cycling three tanks... not fun lol.

5. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok so i took out some ceramic rings from the 75g filter and transferred to the 40g filter. Tested water parameters in the 75, 0/0/10 so I'm glad there was no mini-cycle. But how do I know if I transferred enough media, how do I know if there were actually bacteria on the rings I transferred?

6. chrt396

How much did you transfer? If you had a canister with lots of bio media...it would be easy to transfer enough over. I just throw a bottle of Tetra Safe Start in. Even if you have some media...the extra bacteria is NOT going to hurt! Actually,,,I think it would help.

7. OP
    OP
    Dom90

About quarter a cup of bio balls maybe? The cycle finished in only 4 days, and plus I was super dosing Stability during that time.

8. chrt396

Bio-Balls dont hold THAT much bacteria..but they have some..so any you can put in is a help. The ceramic media holds more bacteria...but if you have been dosing with Stability...just keep an eye out on your testing. 4 days might be a bit optimistic for the tank to completely cycle with what you have added...but we will see. Just keep testing to assure yourself. I added TSS to my 2nd 29g tank...and within 4 days, it showed 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. I thought it had cycled. THEN,,,two days later..the ammonia went up to .25..the nitrites went up to .5...so just keep an eye out on the testing for a while

9. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I had a minor nitrite spike, 0.25 ppm the next day but that was quickly cleared out by dosing Stability for a day. Now the tank has been stabilized.

10. chrt396

Just keep an eye open

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

It's been more than a week so it's ok now. I'm going to close the thread since the issue has been resolved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice