Bacopa Caroliniana Brown And Mushy At Tips

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nada Mucho, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Nada Mucho

Nada MuchoWell Known MemberMember

I recently planted out my first tank with several different plant types. I planted into eco-complete (if one more person tells me eco-complete is nothing but lava rock I'm going to bust a gut) and I've used Flourish and Flourish Excel according to the directions. I also placed Seachem root tabs near each plant.

When the tank started for the first three weeks the Bacopa Caroliniana were my best plants. Growing fast, bright green, even had to trim two of them approaching the waterline. Now the leaves at the tips of each stalk are turning brown and then to mush. It looks like it's going to start working it's way down the stems.

I was cycling at the time so I have used pure ammonia to raise levels to 3ppm twice and I've also been using Stability and Prime. The other plants look good except the Egeria Densas which look washed out but are kicking out lots of roots.

If anyone has some input I would love to hear it. Thank you!

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Could be your lighting. What kind do you have and what's the tank size?

3. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

I have a 30 gallon tank and I'm running 2x Aquaray Grobeam 600 LED lights. I'd say it's about "medium" light.

Thank you very much for replying. Most appreciated.

4. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Could be an overgrowth of brown diatom 'algae'.
    You said you cycled the tank while planted, correct?
    Eco-Complete will release a ton of nutrients into the water column when you first set it up.
    As soon as you grew significant levels of nitrates, together with the nutrients released by your substrate, your diatom bloom found the perfect rough spots to hang out and multiply.

I think your plants are just going to have to suffer a bit unless you want to do water changes to reduce the nutrients in the water and scrub every brown surface in your tank by hand.

5. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Doesn't sound like diatoms, op mentioned only happening to the tips of one plant species.
    Can you post a picture? Would be helpful

6. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Could still be some melt as the plants adjusts to your tank. As long as you are seeing new growth, I'd give them some time.

7. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice