Question Backyard rocks

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was doing some backyard cleaning and came across a bunch of rock, just looks like run of the mill outside rocks.

Can I clean them up and use them in my african tank? Rocks are so darn expensive lol

If so what is the best way to clean them up

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's were mine come from. I just rinse them and throw them in the tank. Well set in.

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've heard others say they will clean then, let them dry and then pour vinegar on them to test them and make sure they won't disturb the pH. Haven't looked into it myself. I've added rocks from my yard as well, best kind of rocks: free ones.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hot water, Dawn and a good scrubbing. I just put this tank together today with sand from a local stream, Oak branches and rocks from my back yard. Hot water, Dawn and a scrubbing. No worries. Been doing this since my grandfather taught me over 43 years ago.

DSC_6218_01t.jpg

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
Hot water, Dawn and a good scrubbing.
WHAT? Not to be rude but all across this forum I've heard nothing but 'Don't wash things going into your tank with dishsoap!' maybe others can drop their 2 cents on this? As I understand it, dishsoap is toxic to fish when it seeps into the water?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive been washing EVERYTHING that goes into my tank with Dawn for DECADES. No problem. The first thing I do with a new tank is to scrub it with Dawn. Same with anything new that's going into my tank like rocks, filters, etc.

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
Ive been washing EVERYTHING that goes into my tank with Dawn for DECADES. No problem.
Hm, maybe Dawn is the exception? Have you heard anything like what I mentioned?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you ever googled what to do if you drink dawn? Just drink water. If its some what safe to consume its fish safe. Just rinse it like you do your dishes.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hear people say all kinds of ridiculous things, lol. If you scrub rocks or a tank or a heater, etc., with Dawn and rinse them, you have NOTHING to worry about. Been eating off plates and drinking out of glasses washed with Dawn for decades, never had an issue. lol

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
Have you ever googled what to do if you drink dawn? Just drink water. If its some what safe to consume its fish safe. Just rinse it like you do your dishes.
Well then I'm not sure where the others are getting the info from. Sorry for the jaw drop DuaneV. Learned something new today.

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope I never use any kind of soap. The closest think I've ever used is barkeep friend. It's a natural cleaner and don't leave residue after a good rinse. Even bleach is better than soap (before adding fish) prime can take care of that bleach is chlorine

bmuckluck

Reaction score
Ive been wondering about back yard rocks too, My main worry is harmful quantities of certain elements seeping into the water over time. A long time ago when I was very young I put a rock from a river in a betta tank and he died the next day & I boiled it first. Ever since then Ive been too scared to test any other rocks out

Edit: obviously lots of people do it & have great success and I hope one day I can too!

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is no residue if you rinse it. lol And even if you DONT rinse it WELL, Dawn is 100% harmless.

bmuckluck, the majority of backyard rocks are going to be 100% harmless, especially if you give them a good scrub. Some can leach certain things, but those are few and far between.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used dish soap to rinse Black Diamond blasting sand, because it had an oily residue. And no, I didn't use Dawn. Just rinse well, and you should be fine. Common sense, really. Dish soap fear is mainly unfounded paranoia. Same with collecting rocks and wood from outside. I trust that more than something I'd buy at a store. Who knows where they've been stored.

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CaptAndrews said:
I've heard others say they will clean then, let them dry and then pour vinegar on them to test them and make sure they won't disturb the pH. Haven't looked into it myself. I've added rocks from my yard as well, best kind of rocks: free ones.
This is what I do. Scrub, boil, dry and then pour vinegar on them to test.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was actually going to ask the same question, glad I saw this thread first, basically covered everything I was worried about!

OP
Lebeeze

Lebeeze

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you all for the answers!! Quick follow up, what does pouring vinegar on the rocks do? Is there something to look for when doing so???

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lebeeze said:
Thank you all for the answers!! Quick follow up, what does pouring vinegar on the rocks do? Is there something to look for when doing so???
If the vinegar bubbles/fizzles that means they are rocks you don't want to use.

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
Have you ever googled what to do if you drink dawn? Just drink water.
Just don't go on any rollercoasters afterwards, otherwise you'll have bubbles coming out of every orifice!

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I’d use anything other than soaps. Obviously it has been used and can be used but if you don’t rinse it off 100% it will kill everything in the tank.
Hot water and some vinegar is the best and it’s easy to rinse off or neutralize.

New Threads