Backwards Lily

Tana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was in a hurry last spring to re-pot the last of the lilies and get them into the pond so didn't pay close attention to the direction the tuber was facing. I didn't realize until after I put the pot into the pond that I did it backwards. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So this is a reminder on how NOT to plant your lily tuber iffn you don't want to replant again the following spring. The growing portion should be facing inwards, not outwards.

Attachments

Tana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gremlin - The mesh bag sounds great and it would certainly take care of having to repot each year, but how do you fertilize it that way?

Butterfly - I always manage to make more work for myself, so if I can show others what not to do, maybe they'll avoid the same mistake.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't fertilize. There is enough fish poop from my goldies that I don't need to worry about it. If I wanted to, though, I could tuck a plant food tablet down into the roots in the bag. I actually did that one year. My sister had some pond plant tablets and my Mom thought we needed to fertilize the lily. I stuck one of the tablets into the root tangle. By the end of the summer, I had to remove 90 % of the lily since it took over so much of my pond. I gave several pieces/starts away to friends who wanted to start water gardens. The rest ended up as mulch for our garden. Right now my lily covers half my pond. And there are more new leaves coming all the time. There were 3 blooms open at the same time this last week. There's nothing like natural fertilizer for healthy plants!

Tana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if I have enough fish poop from my little comets to do the trick, but since I still have one last lily to repot I'm going to try the mesh bag method and see how that works. The other three lilies have been fertilized so maybe there is enough already in the water(?) to compensate for this one. Thanks for the tip gremlin!!

There were 3 blooms open at the same time this last week.
And the pictures are where? ;D

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And the pictures are where? ;D
Uuuuuhmmm. ooops. I'll try to do better next time. Here I am, asking other people for pictures and I forget to take pics of my lily. Oh, I know. I'll blame it on the heat! I forgot to take pictures of our cactus flowers too. ooops.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom