Backgrounds

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a new tank which I will be using a Q tank and want to give it a background. The back of the tank is black and you can't see through it. What kind of backgrounds could you put inside the tank, if you can?

My mum says that she read that you could put slate or something in. Is what my mum said true?

Thanks

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've heard that in-tank backgrounds are a nuisance. I would just leave it black. My tanks just have black colored paper taped on the back and it actually looks really good.

MaryPa

Reaction score
I`m sure after you set the tank up you`ll like the black. It shows the colors of the fish so nicely and makes the tank look more like their natural habitat.I pain my tank back blue then after it dries I cover that with black, it`s awesome looking,especially with neons.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that the inside of the tank is a mirror. While I get another tank cycled and ready and putting some corries in, I want to be putting a betta in the Q tank before putting it in the tank with the corries. I don't want the betta to be able to see himself in the mirror all the time because they aren't allowed tobe kept in tanks together as they will fight each other, and he'll think there is another betta there if there is a mirror.

0morrokh said:
I've heard that in-tank backgrounds are a nuisance.
If they are a nuisance, how? It will only be a Q tank so it would not be set up at all times, only when needed.

Thanks

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought this was a neat idea when I saw it and you could use the kind found on bulletin boards that is flat so it doesn't need to be complicated. You just attach it with aquarium sealant. Read all the posts to be sure you understand how he did it and how to make sure he follows up to make sure it is ready for the fish. I think he just runs the filter for a few days with the carbon in.

I definitely agree with you that a Betta cannot be kept even temporarily in a tank with a mirrored back. He would have himself stressed to death in an hour. They simply cannot tell the difference between a reflection and another fish. I am so glad you are being so considerate.

Rose

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So I could just put a normal piece of cork from a notice board or something in there? Where would I find aquarium sealant?

Thanks

Gwenz

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wal-Mart should have it. I got mine from a LFS to build a cave for my Betta.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I live in UK and don't have Walmart here. Will I be able to get some at my lfs?

Thanks

Gwenz

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol i hav a crazy background on my tank that i did myself added the bart and homer pictures but that black sounds good !!

C W

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with in-tank backgrounds...I just read lots of stuff and don't necessarily remember the details...though I seem to remember something about being hard to clean.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
0morrokh said:
I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with in-tank backgrounds...I just read lots of stuff and don't necessarily remember the details...though I seem to remember something about being hard to clean.
I suppose they would be hard to clean. Hmm... :-\

Gwenz

PS - I think I'll go with the cork thing. If only I'd know where to get some aquarium sealent....

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aquarium sealent? Like silicon? That you can get like anywhere with a fish section...

LOULOU

Valued Member
Reaction score
im from the uk and yes any fish shop or pet shop would sell it, we have a pets at home where i am and they sell it. its used to fix the sides of tanks if the seal goes on the edges. ask at your lfs. :-*

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can put the cork in there but not the rest of the board. You would have to buy a sheet of cork, probably at an office supply house or somewhere they would sell corkboards. You need some that hasn't been glued to anything else. If you cannot get it there try to GOOGLE it. It should tell you where it is available in your area.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually what off-ice used was "corkbark" He ordered it online if I'm not mistaken rather inexpensively.
Cork boards like bulletin boards are ground up cork mixed with something to hold it together and then pressed. I have also seen that used but tends to come apart after awhile.
inside back grounds if not applied very carefully can leave places for fish to get trapped behind them.
You could always try a moss wall.
http://www.aquamoss.net/How to create a moss wall/How to create a moss wall.htm
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOW! Those are really great. I may have to try one in my tank.

Rose

luper

Reaction score
i like the idea of the moss wall.... I may try that my self except for fact that it would be lots of work trimming it i bet

does anyone use Eleocharis parvula ? IT loks like a cool grass to cover bottom

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOULOU said:
we have a pets at home where i am and they sell it.
There is a Pets at Home about 15 minutes from where I live. Thanks LOULOU, I'll ask there.

Butterfly said:
Thanks Carol, that sounds realy cool! ;D I'll have to try it in future, but I don't think I'll use it in this tank because i am using it as a Q tank, and will only be using it when I need it. I expect the tank would need to be kept running.

Gwenz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How did I miss it being a Q tank and yes your right it would have to be kept running.
One of the more expensive fish stores here by us had a 250G tank with a moss wall a few years back. It was full of Rainbows of all kinds. It was trully gorgeous.
Carol

luper

Reaction score
anyone have other pictures of moss walls they've done... i like the idea.. and i ve asked this in a nother thread but whats the best way of trimming the back moss wall? Just scissors?
-luper

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom