Background Plants for a 180L?

BlackNotebookTanks

What are good background plants for a 180L/47.5Gal tank? It has two 3ft T5 fluorescent, one bright white and one warm white. I have a BioFlow 180 400lph filter and my substrate consists of a 1 inch deep layer of gravel plant substrate and 2 inches of fine sand on top. I have 2 Anubias Nana on driftwood, an Echinodorus Digital, and some Brazillian elodea. I'm thinking of getting wisteria difformis, some amazon swords and myriophyllum pinnatum. Any other suggestions or tips for keeping these plants?

uncclewis

No other tips- depending on your aquarium height, I don't know if I wisteria is the right background plant for you. I however love the look of wisteria and other than trimming some from the top sides, so it doesn't choke its lower leaves, it is very easy to take care of (you don't have to, it just doesn't look past pretty for me! lol). The weed that you have: elodea can be your background plant, but the amazon sword while harder to take care of-is very beautiful and a good choice.

TexasDomer

The warm white light probably isn't doing anything for your plants. It's not the right color temp.

Consider jungle val too! It's an easy, low light background plant.

DoubleDutch

The warm white light probably isn't doing anything for your plants. It's not the right color temp.

Why is that TD ?

TexasDomer

Why is that TD ?
If I recall correctly, warm lights are usually around 2700 K, which is much lower than recommended for plant growth.

DoubleDutch

Mwaaa as you realise "special plant" tubes are often around 3000K (Dennerle) I think that isn't entirely correct l.
I've some 2700K/3000K tubes, but in the most tanks I used 4000K.
I was told lately that colortemp doesn't say anything. It is PAR that does the trick. I stick to the "old" science though hahaha.

DoubleDutch

Jungle Vallis is great btw !
Swords, crypts, aso too
vallis that's going into the garbagecan !!

TexasDomer

Mwaaa as you realise "special plant" tubes are often around 3000K (Dennerle) I think that isn't entirely correct l.
I've some 2700K/3000K tubes, but in the most tanks I used 4000K.
I was told lately that colortemp doesn't say anything. It is PAR that does the trick. I stick to the "old" science though hahaha.
PM'ed you so we don't hijack the thread!

uncclewis

Texas is much more helpful on plants. I was just doing my best Bc no one responded. Glad she did.

BlackNotebookTanks

Thank you for the help everybody! ^_^ Also, once I get the money I'm swapping out that warm white t5 for another bright white because it looks tacky IMO and now that I know it's basically useless for plant growth I can defo get rid of the old thing! Many thanks everyone!!!

DoubleDutch

Thank you for the help everybody! ^_^ Also, once I get the money I'm swapping out that warm white t5 for another bright white because it looks tacky IMO and now that I know it's basically useless for plant growth I can defo get rid of the old thing! Many thanks everyone!!!

It isn't useless for plantgrowth!

BlackNotebookTanks

I thought it was in the wrong colour temp or something? I don't like it anyways so

uncclewis

Yes. I don't like yellow light. I use 6000 or 6500 can't remember which

One is cloudy after gravel/water change

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackNotebookTanks
Replies
Views
Ohiotank
Replies
Views