Background Plants For 10g Tank

1. a

all-out-fallout Valued Member Member

I’m looking for some background plants to add to my 10G. Green melon swords really stood out to me, but I’ve heard they grow very tall and wide, and I’d rather not choke out my small tank.

Are there other good, solid background plant options for a tank that only stands twelve inches high? I’m fine with needing to trim it. I use ferts but not co2, so low- or mid-tech plants would be ideal.

Thanks!​

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Italian val or jungle val would look nice. They’re also low tech and are low light low tech plants.

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

What plants do you have now

4. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I'm a fan of Rotala indica.

5. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Jungle vallisneria is good but if you are willing to trim you could go with swords. They only get very large if you allow them to. You could just trim large leaves off and trim to the size you want. Vals grow very fast so if you go with those just understand they can get out of control very quickly.

6. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Who doesn’t love a jungle looking aquarium :)

7. Alex6455

Alex6455 Valued Member Member

Rotala indica or ludwigia repens are great low light stem background plants, and they provide a nice pop of color in the tank.

8. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Not, saying it's a bad thing at all the op said they didn't want plant to "choke out" the aquarium, so I was just letting them know that vals are basically more intrusive than swords.

9. J

Jessi New Member Member

I think melon or amazon swords would be fine still. I also love my anubias and moss balls (though the moss ball need rolled like a meat ball, squeezed gently, and placed back on a different side at least weekly). Java fern is hardy too. It's not my favorite looking plant but I like having a few in the tank still, especially with how easy it is to care for.