Backdrop

MollieGirl9490

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are backdrops necessary? I've just set up my new tank and was just told I NEED a backdrop. I don't really like the look of them, and even then you can't even see it behind all of my plants. Does my white wall affect the fish in some way?

mizz_pyro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never had a background on any of my tanks. None of my fish seem effected by seeing the wall

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just tell them your back drop is the wall. It's cheaper than $0.99 poster board at the Dollar Tree.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its not necessary and its just a matter of personal preference.

I DO have a solid black covering on my 36 gallon bowfront - I like the look of it and it helps hide the cords/heater/hob.

On my Fluval edge, it's glass all the way around and I like how it looks without a background....

mrHDpants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's definitely not necessary, although I have heard people argue that it can be calming for fish who are in high traffic areas. For a long time I thought I didn't want one and didn't see the point but then I added one to my 45g and was amazed at how dramatic and uncluttered the tank suddenly looked. That being said, I don't think my fish or my plants notice the difference .

newfishmama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You definitely don't NEED a backdrop, I think they look better without one as well. I've been thinking of putting one on my small tank so I can't see the cords but I think I'll pass. I really don't think the fish are going to notice a difference and if they did I think they'd be confused as to why they can't go over there into the picture lol.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I feel that an aquarium back ground, along with substrate for the bottom, gives the fish some boundaries and may help the fish to feel a bit more secure in its surroundings.

I use a plain black background on both of my tanks. For my 33g long tank I have also added the background to the sides of the tank to prevent too much natural tank from entering and causing algae issues.

Ken

Lyfeoffishing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I absolutely hate the rock/decoré backgrounds but plain color ones seem so elegant to me. It just seems to hide everything behind my tank (all the cords, my aquaclears, heaters) so all in all it makes for a nicer/cleaner look to me. Although I don't believe it helps/hurts the fish in anyway.

Angel3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg I used 2 scrapbooking squares, in teal blue color and set them against the back of our 10 gal. It does hide cords and makes the fish stand out when watching them.

frampy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I make 3d backgrounds and my fish use the ledges and spaces between the rock work to hide. I have caves in some and they do use the caves to feel safe.

Fascisticide

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am a fan of white lit backgrounds like you see so often in aquascaping. I did it on my 20g and the effect is absolutely incredible!

It's very easy to do. You put a frosted film on the back glass. Place a white board behind the tank at an angle, it touches the tank at the top and is about 6" away at the bottom. And place a light source (like a neon about the length of the tank) that lights up the board, between the board and the tank, but low enough and closer to the tank so that it can't be seen directly when looking at the tank. You can add colored acetate film on the light to add color effects.

mrHDpants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fascisticide said:
I am a fan of white lit backgrounds like you see so often in aquascaping. I did it on my 20g and the effect is absolutely incredible!

It's very easy to do. You put a frosted film on the back glass. Place a white board behind the tank at an angle, it touches the tank at the top and is about 6" away at the bottom. And place a light source (like a neon about the length of the tank) that lights up the board, between the board and the tank, but low enough and closer to the tank so that it can't be seen directly when looking at the tank. You can add colored acetate film on the light to add color effects.
This sounds so interesting and pretty. You should start a separate thread with pictures so that we can see your tank!

aquatic1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
frampy said:
I make 3d backgrounds and my fish use the ledges and spaces between the rock work to hide. I have caves in some and they do use the caves to feel safe.
How do you make 3d backgrounds? Do you mean inside the tank? Because if so that sounds like something i'd look in to for my future tanks.

Fascisticide

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have a real good picture. And the main lighting broke some time ago, I put something temporary but it's really not strong enough and the tank looks dark, especially compared to the bright background. It should look much better when I get my new lighting.

And I need to replace the equipment in the tank so it doesn't show so much, with glass filter intake and lily pipe and inline heater

The java moss expanded since I took this picture, and seeing the bright background through it is absolutely beautiful!

LisaAnne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't say that a background is a must but, depending on your fish, and the placement of your tank, it can prove to be of great benefit.

If your aquarium is near a window, a background helps to control algae by filtering out sunlight.

If your aquarium is in a high traffic zone, a background can help your fish feel more secure. Some people even cover the sides of their aquarium to offer more security for their fish. If your fish are the skittish type, you may notice how they'll dart when someone approaches their aquarium. Covering the back and/or sides of the aquarium would help with that.

Unless you have lots of tall plants and/or decorations in your aquarium, backgrounds are also great for hiding all the cords and tubing that run down the back.

I purchased a large piece of black vinyl from a local sign shop for the back of my aquarium. Personally, I LOVE it!

Fascisticide said:
I really like the sound of that! I'll have to try that the next time my MTS comes to call!

frampy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes inside the tank Google diy 3d background and check some videos out. I put PVC caves in the last one I did its cycling now. They are super easy to make. Its carved Styrofoam sheets coated with drylok concrete sealer. You will have fun making one if you try! Hope you don't mind here are mine.

Attachments

mrHDpants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
frampy - those are amazing! Is the sculpture carved into the backdrop or is it sitting against the backdrop (3rd pic)? Also do you have a fish tank as your headboard for your bed (last pic)? If so, that is so cool!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom