Back To (the Very) Basics Question

1. Lauren4events Member Member

So, I'm sure this is something I should have learned from the start, but can someone please explain to me exactly how dechlorinator works?

I'm using Prime... but I never know if I'm doing it correctly. For example, here are questions I constantly ask myself:

-when I do a water change, am I supposed to add the prime to the tank before or after the new water is added? I have been doing before. Which means I'm dosing for the full amount of water that will be in the entire tank, not how much water there currently is.

-when I have to do 2 water changes, back to back... am I supposed to dose for the full amount of the tank both times? Or should the second time be based on the amount of water changed only? I have been adding prime for the full amount both times. Is that too much?

-after doing a water change and adding prime, is it safe to rinse things in tap water and add it to the tank? Or am I supposed to add more prime? For example, I forgot to add the carbon after the water change. 20 minutes later, I rinsed the carbon bag under tap water... and then wasn't sure if it was safe to add it to my filter. I assumed it was because the tank had prime in it. But I could be wrong.

-I have high pH and I suspect I also have high chloramine in my tap water. Does this matter in regards to how much dechlorinator I use? I have always used it as instructed on the bottle. Prime says to use a double dose if I have high chloramine. But I don't do that, because I don't know for sure. It's just a guess based on things I have read about my town's water. Is there a way to check this? Does it even matter?

Basically, can anyone explain how dechlorinator works so I can understand simple things like I listed above? Please dumb it down for me. As I am new to this and tend to get lost with all of the unfamiliar jargon.

Thank you for your help!

2. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Prime can be dosed up to 5 times the recommended 10ml/200gal.

If you are pumping water directly into the tank then you have to dose for the full number of gallons the tank is. Prime is recommended to be added directly to the water to be added ( 1/2 mil per bucket approx).

If you are doing back to back water changes then I would dose the full amount both times.

I use buckets so I dose each bucket before I add.

Hope this helps

3. Miaw Member Member

Depends on the size of the bucket. 1ml prime = 40 Litres/10g US.

I have 9L buckets so I dose each bucket with 0.225ml with a 5ml syringe (just over 1 bar). Double dose with that size bucket would be like 0.45ml.
    (Maths = 9 / 40 = 0.225ml required, or using gallons with 5g bucket example: 5 / 10 = 0.5ml required)

You can get little 5ml or 1ml syringes off amazon cheaply.

This means you can dose buckets before putting them in, makes your prime go a lot further. Also the chloramine has no chance to kill any bacteria if it is taken care of in the bucket.

Prime uses up oxygen so doesn't going 5x dose a lot rob oxygen from the water?

4. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I've never used at this strength but according to seachem it is safe to dose up to 5 times normal dose if high levels of ammonia etc. are present.

And you are right about the buckets I thought the syringe I use was 5ml but it is actually 3ml and I was going off how many buckets I get per syringe

5. Miaw Member Member

The thing with that is it says only as an emergency. I don't think it's intended for regular water changes :p

2x should be fine though because it explicitly states to use 2x if you have high chloramine. So 2x should be okay for regular use.

6. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I wasn't suggesting that he dose at that level but he was worried about adding to much when what he was adding was basically a double dose I was stating that it is safe up to those levels at no stage did I suggest that this is the dose to use

7. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

It's 1-2 drops per 1 gallon of water.
    I use 2 drops because I don't want to kill my fish with chlorine.

In my 40 gl i use 5ml / 1 cap full x 2 when I do a WC with the Python.

8. bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I add 2 drops per gallon for the tank volume. I usually add some extra Prime since we have chloramine in our water.

I add Prime to the tank just before I fill with my python.