Back to fish keeping after 35 years

Woodentop

Hi all

So Mrs Woodentop and I had been discussing an Aquarium for some time after having them when we were young 35 years ago.
We visited an underwater viewing observatory, Busselton Jetty, google it, very cool. We were enthralled. Came home brought a Lido 200 litre Juwel Aquarium.
So 6 weeks on we are over the moon. I'm spending about 10-15 minutes a day on it and 30 on the weekend.
Seems in the old days we set up a tank and threw some fish in. After much research I learnt about cycling.
So after patiently waiting for that we finally got underway.
First 6 x Zebra Danios (jaws)
Next Bristle Nose Pleo (Harry)
Next 2 x bronze corys ( boffhead & basher)
and 2x Albino corys ( Debbie & Marilyn)
Next 2 x Spicias corys (pepper & pot)
Next 10 x cardinal (the cardinals)
Then 1 X Blood Red Bristle Nose Pleco (Sally)
Finally 3 x Clowns (the clowns)
Done.

I have battled through Alge, White mould, over feeding and now a small white spot infection. The white spot lead me to this forum

So thought I'd introduce myself. Seven weekson I hope to post a picture below. Sorry newish to this forum stuff.

Attachments

• 20210725_141144.jpg
    20210725_141144.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 41

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore
You haven't lost your touch, that's a beautiful setup

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :) That is a beautiful tank!

MyFishAddiction

Welcome!

Woodentop

Thanks for the kind comments.
So the fun has continued. Got rid of the white spot. This damaged some plants.
A clown got stuck in a rock and got a frantic call from wifey to rush home. Sure enough its stuck fast. I pull the rock out shake it, bang it etc. Only option is to pull it out by its tail. Horrible rasping sound.
So with a damaged gill plate, broken tail I'm thinking the worst. But no all recovered and back to normal.
Yesterday a Corey unexplainable died.
I have Java Fern dyeing and stage horn algae.
Added 3 Gourami.
Despite the on going battle with a young tank I'm loving it.
And yes my waters perfect and I do weekly water changes.

Cheers the Woodentops

ProudPapa

Thanks for the kind comments.
So the fun has continued. Got rid of the white spot. This damaged some plants.
A clown got stuck in a rock and got a frantic call from wifey to rush home. Sure enough its stuck fast. I pull the rock out shake it, bang it etc. Only option is to pull it out by its tail. Horrible rasping sound.
So with a damaged gill plate, broken tail I'm thinking the worst. But no all recovered and back to normal.
Yesterday a Corey unexplainable died.
I have Java Fern dyeing and stage horn algae.
Added 3 Gourami.
Despite the on going battle with a young tank I'm loving it.
And yes my waters perfect and I do weekly water changes.

Cheers the Woodentops

Welcome. What kind of gouramis did you get?

Woodentop

2 x golden
1x blue

They are all getting along well.

WRWAquarium

Welcome back to the hobby and the forum!

I have the same tank as you too, lido 200 :) yours looks lovely!

Do you have the standard filter? If so how do you find it? Got mine 2nd hand and that part was broken so run a canister and sponge.

Woodentop

I don't really have any experience with other filters. I have the standard in tank filter.
It seems ok. I can't get my water gin clear but I may over feed a little and have sediment coming of my rocks. Rookie error, didnt scrub them. I change the top large particles filter twice a week.
There is a low flow spot in the front right hand corner of the tank.
Maintenance is easy on the filter. Filter parts are a bit expensive but there is options.
Might put a sponge filter in at some stage.
Always very clear after water changes.

Hope this helps

WRWAquarium

Yeah thanks for replying. I was just interested in an opinion on an owner of the stock filter. If you ever fancy a canister it works very nice under the cabinet and the tank has the grooves built into the back for the inlet outlet allready.

I won't ever be using my original juwel filter as I've recycled the strong little pump and some other parts to make a filter for another tank.

kansas

I got back into it after 35 years myself. Thinks sure have changed for the better.

Woodentop

Yeah they have. I have learnt so much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
Authmal
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics