Back to Basics: How to Wash our Hands

1. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm, I had a long talk the other day with my 12-year-old about how she needs to go back over the hand-washing lessons she got in pre-school. We have some permanent quarantine tanks in our house and cross-contamination is a reality. So just in case you know someone who needs a review, here are a few links ;)

http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-handwashing.html
    http://aging.sc.gov/SiteCollectionDocuments/P/proper_handwashing%20activity.pdf
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/proper-hand-washing

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I wish I didn't live in such an overpopulated place, where this kind of thing is such a serious worry.

I remember reading a study where they tested all kinds of public places for the most germs (I don't remember the exact parameters) and public restrooms actually weren't anywhere near the top of the list. That spot was taken by grocery store shopping cart handles. When have you ever seen anyone clean a shopping cart?

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

FB, I agree, how about gas pump handles ? ;:barf

4. matsungit Well Known Member Member

So that's why. I was wondering why VONS and Target took the initiative to provide complementary sanitary wipes for the shopping carts and baskets.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have a question about hand washing and using soap before putting your hands in a tank.. I wash the soap off thoroughly but I am always afraid of contaminating the tank with the soap residue on my hands. I have at times used hand sanitizer gel instead of soap and I wondered about the safety of my fish when I am using these practices? Thanks.x

6. HappyKnitter Member Member

I have a bowl with water and I put some aquarium water conditioner to rinse my hands , If I have to handle fish I use API stress coat+ since I have to express eggs out of those ranchus every couple of days..

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thank you HappyKnitter that saves me scrubbing off soap for half an hour then worrying every time I stick my hand in!xx

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Just an idea. It might make sense to put a bleach solution in a spray bottle, and also another bottle with dechlorinator and RO/distilled water to use when preparing to work about the aquarium.

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hmm. When I am out of long gloves I just go for a really hard scrub with tap water and a really hard rub dry with clean cloth or paper towel. Then shake my arms really hard haha. Wonder if I should step it up. I like FB's idea. But mostly I just bypass all of it with the shoulder length exam gloves.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. matsungit Well Known Member Member

If you think about it, contaminants from our hands will be very little if you are careful. Just rinse thoroughly, especially if you just used products on your hands like lotion or disinfectants. Also, accumulation in the tank will be minimized and controlled by frequent water changes.

11. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

A thorough hand washing and followed by thorough rinsing should be all that you need. Being sure to focus on nails, cracks, and crevices in your hands as this is where bacteria hides.

I would advise against the use of hand sanitizers. They purposefully leave a residue behind that kills bacteria. This residue would be washed into the tank.

Many people use these hand sanitizers incorrectly any ways. They are designed to be used AFTER hand washing as an extra step just to be sure your hands are sanitized. Many people just skip the handwashing and use the sanitizer INSTEAD. This will kill some of the germs and bacteria but just pushes a lot of the dirty stuff around and into the crevices.

A good 30 second or more washing in hot water (100F) is the best option. A good trick especially for kids, is to teach them to sing the "Happy Birthday" song. When the song is over they can rinse their hands. This focuses them on scrubbing and getting into crevices. Manual friction will get a lot of stuff off your hands just by themselves, but when used with soap and hot water, it's ideal.

I get my info from my numerous years running restaurants and bars. I had to take many classes on food safety and sanitation and at one point I was certified to teach the class.

12. EUFolk Member Member

Bleach will burn your skin after while. Soap has to many additives to rinse it corectly. Disposable gloves are the only way.