Back in the hobby with a new 29G

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by ShadowCatsKey, Jul 9, 2015.

1. S

ShadowCatsKey New Member Member

Hello there! I'm new to the forums but not to the hobby :)

My name is Margot or ShadowCatsKey, and I had a 29 gallon (long) tank with four Dalmatian Mollies (all females, a mother who was a Petstore survivor and her three daughters) and four Emerald Cory Catfish throughout my high school years.
    Sadly, I lost that tank due to hurricane damage; I wasn't able to get into my home for a month, so the tank was left alone in a flooded house for that long. :(
    After that I mainly housed Bettas (I usually buy Petco's baby bettas because I've had very good luck raising them to adulthood) for fear of another weather incident killing more sensitive fish. I had a female community in a 20 gallon long for a long time, and a male in a 10g.

Here's what my highschool Molly tank looked like! (Apparently my younger self didn't believe in decor!)

295748_2361555842942_6937533_n.jpg

Now, however, I have a new job and live somewhere where hurricanes are just annoying, and there's no chance of flooding. So I've gotten a new 29 gallon tank, and am trying again! :)

I don't have any stock yet, but I'm finally getting close. My tank has its final decoration setup, and my liquid test kits are due in the mail tomorrow, so I can finally accurately begin to cycle and test the water parameters. I'm allowing my younger sister to choose its inhabitants, and she wants a small community of Balloon Mollies, Guppies and Corydoras Catfish (the Pygmy kind are very common in stores around here).
    I know there's controversy surrounding Balloon Mollies, but they're the kid's favorite fish (along with Guppies), so I'm not going to tell her no.. y'know? I'm also incredibly excited to own Corydoras again, I loved my previous batch during the 3-4 years I had them.

Here's my current tank, empty and not yet cycled, but ready to get started! :)
    All it needs is a matching 10G fry tank for the future Molly / Guppy generations~
    102_8945.JPG

Best of luck with your fish, everyone out there.
    I'm so glad to be back into the hobby after a few years away~

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    And welcome back to the hobby. :)
    (Make sure to have the cories in a group of 6+ of their own species)

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Welcome! Glad to hear you're getting back into the hobby! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!
    What kind of cories are you planning on getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. s

squid Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forums :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    The fish when you get them will love their new home, especially the corys with the sand substrate

7. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum. I like the way the tank is set up. Alison

8. OP
    OP
    S

Thank you for the comments, everyone~
    This is my first time using sand as a substrate; I really do like how it looks. ^^ Even if it was a pain to wash and then wait for the water to settle / the filter to help get the rest of the sand out of the water.

@Dom90:
    I'm not sure what kind of Corydoras I'll be getting, yet. I'm currently looking around to find out which species are available. I had Albinos before; so far I've found Albinos, False Julii and Peppered locally. So, likely one of those three :)

9. Merri68

Merri68 Valued Member Member

Welcome! I'm new too. Your tank looks wonderful!

10. OP
    OP
    S

Hello there, everyone! :)

I'm happy to say that since my last post, I got a couple Mollies to help cycle the tank. It's at the Nitrite stage now, movin' along without any oddities.
    The fish are doing wonderfully! Black Mollies, to be specific; 1 male, 3 females. None of them have passed on so far, and it's been a little while, so I'm going to assume I'm going to get these guys to live a decent life~

One female already had some fry (which I was hoping for just in case I lost any of the store bought ones), and I have those in a smaller tank I used to use for my bettas.

In order to house all those potential Mollies, I went on the search for another tank, and got one! A pair of local fish breeders cut back on the number of species they were working with, and sold me a 50G tank, a stand rated for 75g (good to know for the future!), and a couple extra hoods. I got some new lightbulbs for it today, an air pump & second filter are in the mail, and I put the rest of the sand in it that didn't fit in my 29g. I'm holding back on getting decor and more sand since the Molly fry are nowhere near large enough to be reintroduced.

I'm incredibly excited! A 50 gallon tank has always been my dream tank, and I just so happened upon someone who needed theirs gone ASAP when I was financially able to get it! The 29 gallon will remain up and running, so I'll have a small Tropical Community and a lovely 50 Gallon right in my living room.

Depending on the number of mollies that survive, store bought or fry, male or female, I may try to get some guppies and/or tetras to put in this 50 G, and put Zebra Danios in the 29 gallon instead. A small school of Corydoras will be in both, as well, I'm just waiting for the cycling period to end before I buy any of them :)

[​IMG]

11. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

That's exciting and congrats. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice