Back In The Game...

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tracking just sucks. They did end up shipping yesterday and showed up today at 10:30a but I didn't get them until 11:30a because I wasn't expecting them. Glad I decided to look at the tracking link for updates.

2019-12-05 11.59.37.jpg

2019-12-05 12.04.15.jpg

cadd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They look awesome! How big are they? Hard to judge from the photos.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They're about 1.5". Just a bit smaller than my L128s I got last weekend.

I dropped a piece of repashy for them but I don't think they know it's food yet. The pot is a 4" cut in half and the tubes have 1.5" openings.
2019-12-05 12.26.43.jpg

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh those guys are gorgeous! Good to see you back on your pleco buying spree lol

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NICE !!!

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful!! Too bad these guys are such hiders.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tfreema said:
Beautiful!! Too bad these guys are such hiders.
They are beautiful! Funny you said that they're hiders. After a few hours, all but 1 is visible in the tank. I found 3 behind the HOB down spout. I did put a ton of caves in the tank and almost forgot about driftwood so I plunked one down on top of the caves. Most of the videos of L134s are just their tails sticking out of caves most of the time. Good thing is these should be breeding size within a year or so. L128's will probably take another year or two more and are much harder to breed from what I've researched.

I've been keeping my BNs apart so they don't breed because I don't want to be overrun with BN fry but I wouldn't mind having that problem with L134s. And they're much easier to sell off if I have too many (is there such a thing?).

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks DarkOne and coralbandit
You guys are a bad influence LOL, been contemplating getting something new so I just ordered 6 juvenile L183 Starlight. Will start them off in a 10 gallon and create an hotel complex similar to you guys. Question, gravel or sand or bare bottom.
Any other advice?

L183 Starlight pic.jpg

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats! They're beautiful plecos.

Bare bottom is easier to keep clean. My 40b is bare bottom with 2 slate caves I made and the L075 and L128s are in there. I set up my 10 gallon for the L134s and left the BDBS and just added caves. I added 6 juvie Sterbai cories in the 10 gallon to clean up the leftover food in the 10 gallon. I was a bit worried that the 10 gallon was too big for the L134s but I noticed their bellies are getting bigger than when I first got them so they are settling in and eating well. The L128s are slightly bigger and they seem to be doing well in the 40b.

I do 2-3 w/c's per week on both tanks. Mainly to vac the poop that piles up but also gives them clean water to grow faster.

Don't forget to put some driftwood in there :)

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
30]30]30]
Disappointed to report the L183's arrived DOA. The box was cold checked the water temp in the bags 56.3'. Ugh! It appears the heat pack failed.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear. When my L134s arrived, the heat pack was barely working as the packer just squeezed it enough to get warm, about 73°F when I opened the box. Luckily, the weather wasn't too cold when they were delivered.

They did come with ich spores as 3 of the 6 juvie Sterbai cories got white spots a few days ago (9 days after I got them) despite the Hydroplex dip and drop'n'plop. I raised the temp in the 10 gallon to 88°F. I lost 2 cories but the L134s and remaining 4 cories seem to be doing fine in the warm tank now.

I lost one of my L075 this morning. No visible signs of illness on the L075 or any others in the tank (40b).

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rough day for the vets today all around ..
Where are the newbs to hear this ?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just wanted to share with fellow pleco lovers, I finally got some calico bristlenose fry. Actually three clutches. Probably have about 150 if I had to guess.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Happy to report.
Aquatic Arts is honoring their "Live Arrival Guarantee" . Will be sending out the replacement 1/2 dozen L183 after the holidays with additional heat packs and more insulation. Yeah!

Congrats! JLeeM

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jmaldo said:
Happy to report.
Aquatic Arts is honoring their "Live Arrival Guarantee" . Will be sending out the replacement 1/2 dozen L183 after the holidays with additional heat packs and more insulation. Yeah!

Congrats! JLeeM
Just a tip during winter season when you place orders for fish if you know it will be cold weather you can always email the place of where you order your fish and advise them to add additional heat pack and insulation prior to shipment. Some have sections in checkout for additional memos and you can request for additional packaging precautions to be taken. Maybe this will help you with future orders during those cold months. It has worked for me in the past to make sure my shipment arrives alive the first go around.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, Yep, they admitted their shipping dept failed along with the heat pack.
Its a shame since they are a neighboring state and the weather is basically the same.
Fins Crossed!

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought mine during their sale and I'm sure they were swamped but it looked like the packer just grabbed a heat pack and squeezed tight and threw it in the box. The heat pack needs to be shaken to mix the chemicals to start working. Mine was barely warm but when I shook it, it got much warmer. Aquatic Arts has a ton of great feedback and I've ordered plants from them a couple of years ago.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey Guys, just ordered these, Homemade Pleco Caves that look like driftwood.
Take a look.

Cave 2.jpg
Cave 7.jpg
Cave 8.jpg

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jmaldo said:
Hey Guys, just ordered these, Homemade Pleco Caves that look like driftwood.
Take a look.

Cave 2.jpg
Cave 7.jpg
Cave 8.jpg
Those look pretty interesting.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the natural look of those driftwood caves. I've been making my own with slate tiles and bought a bunch of watering spikes before that. A couple of my L134s seem to think they're too good for them and dig between the watering spikes and make their own caves. I think most of my plecos are too small for the caves I have now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom