Back In The Game...

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pleco tank is dead. It looks like it was some sort of bacterial disease, not just ich. There was also hemorrhaging on about half the dead plecos and what looks like slime coat coming off. I'm going to nuke the tank with H2O2 and let it run for a few days. Not sure what to do with it now.

Shellies are settling in and doing great.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m sorry to hear that man, that’s a tough loss. How many plecos did you have in the tank again?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
16 plecos, 6 rainbows and 10 sterbai. Some of them took me a year to find, I traveled over 2 hrs each way to pick up some others. I know it was packed but I vac'd almost every day with 5 gallon w/c and 50% w/c every week. It was easily my most maintenance heavy tank and I was very diligent to keep it clean and healthy. Most were young which is why I was able to keep so many in the tank and I never saw any aggression ever.

I ordered more meds and some meat wafers especially for plecos that just came today.

I should've known better. I picked up the 3 plecos from PetCo in Paramus on Rt 17. The aquatics mgr left/got fired a couple of months ago and it looks like the section has been somewhat neglected. I haven't been there in a while and I went earlier this month. The former mgr was trying to order the L204s for me for over 6 months and they finally got them. I've never had any issues with fish I got from them before but the mgr was pretty good about keeping the tanks clean and disease free. I won't be going there any more.

I've been pretty strict with QT'ing new fish but during some tank shuffling, I used my QT to hold some sterbai juvies. I've had good luck with Hydroplex dips so I took a chance. It's probably why it took 2 weeks for any symptoms to show up.

Live and learn.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Again, so sad and I know that is gut wrenching. No words. Just some hugs your way.

DioAquatics

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dang man that’s a tough loss. Again I’m really sorry that happened to you. We all know how diligent you are with WC’s and how much you love your plecos. It’s a horrible loss.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My pygmy cories usually hide most of the day but in the evenings, some of them come out and hover like this for a couple of hours.
DSC_0739.JPG

Here's a juvie. You can see the size difference.
DSC_0729.JPG

Could it be a pair? Breeding Panda Garras would be awesome.
DSC_0737.JPG

Tank cleared up.
DSC_0743.JPG

DSC_0750.JPG

Grumpy fish.
DSC_0751.JPG

DSC_0758.JPG

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bum deal man..
I think you should do zebra plecos .
If no zebras you should consider rams ..
You have an open door ...
I know guy who knows a , well you know ! ;)

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:( What a shame. Thanks for sharing your trials, just a reminder to all of us. Be careful what we add to our tanks. You mentioned using H202, have you considered a "PP" treatment. I remembered coralbandit does it. Wanted a fresh start on a 33L gave it 2 overdosed treatments for a few days, so far so good. Hang in there, I am sure you'll be sharing pics of some new fish.

Good Luck.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
:( What a shame. Thanks for sharing your trials, just a reminder to all of us. Be careful what we add to our tanks. You mentioned using H202, have you considered a "PP" treatment. I remembered coralbandit does it. Wanted a fresh start on a 33L gave it 2 overdosed treatments for a few days, so far so good. Hang in there, I am sure you'll be sharing pics of some new fish.

Good Luck.
I usually use H2O2 to disinfect stuff and cleaning out tanks to reuse. The tank is still running so I might do a 10x overdose but I want to make sure anything in the tank is dead. Then kill it again.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dumped a teaspoon of PP into the tank this afternoon. The water was almost opaque and hard to see the back of the tank. It's still very dark purple. I have the wavemaker and filters all running but unplugged the heaters. I added another 100w heater and also ordered a 150w heater that showed up yesterday to get the tank over 87°F but it was only up to 84°F when the die-off started. I'll do a 50% water change in a few days and dose 1/2 tspn before I even think about putting any fish in there.

2019-10-23 00.02.38.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have always just reset with 10:1 water and bleach solution, rinse really well, and allow everything to dry completely to set up fresh.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually use H2O2. It's cheap, kills everything in the tank in higher doses and turns to harmless H2O and O2 when it breaks down. No need to scrub or rinse after. I ordered 4-4oz bottles of PP and realized I will probably never use all of it so I decided to nuke the tank with it. It does leave a reddish-brown residue on everything so I'll have to scrub everything inside. I think the residue is biofilm and algae that died. I drained about 5 gallon today and took out the heaters to clean. I'm still upset about this and didn't want to look into the tank so I just let it run with the lights off for the week.

I have 3 BN's, 2 rubberlips and a snowball left as far as plecos go. I really do want to get some more L128s and a L075. I thought about getting a group of L134 Leopard Frog plecos that were on sale at Aquatic Arts but the sale ended and I'm not crazy about getting fish shipped to me.

Oh, the reason for pulling the heaters is because 1 of my Cobalt NeoTherms failed and Cobalt is replacing it but after a week, they just printed a shipping label Friday. The Finnex HPG also failed so I needed the other heater for that tank. Finnex only has a 180 day warranty so I won't be buying any more Finnex heaters. Either way, even with a warranty, it can take 1-4 weeks to get a replacement so I usually keep a spare or two.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Holy cow. I'm so sorry. Just read about your plecos, which I know you love so much. I'll miss seeing about them. I think you'll end up starting another pleco tank though. Good luck in whatever you decide.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I finally got around to cleaning up my pleco tank. The PP turned all the biofilm to a dark reddish mulm. I took everything but the 2 moving bed filters out and cleaned everything. I only put the 3 pieces of driftwood back in the tank. I refilled with plain tap water and 240ml of H2O2 to run for another couple of days. I'll do a 50% water change and then start cycling it. I got a ton of QuickStart from API at Aquatic Experience so I'm gonna see how well it works. I definitely want some plecos but I haven't decided what exactly to do with it yet.

My pygmy cories are definitely breeding in the shrimp tank. I think I lost 2 adults from the original group of 10 because I only see 8 adults but I count at least 5 juvies for a total of 13. I hope they keep breeding and I get a ton of them.

I think Panda Garras (Garra Flavatra) are so underrated. They don't spook easy and they're active all day long. They also clean up brown algae even when they're well fed.

I think one of the juvie shell dweller ate the 5 fry as I saw him in the shell that the 5 fry were in and I haven't seen them since. They're all doing great.

OLCs don't seem to be doing much of anything so I might swap them out with Agassizi to try to breed them. I still have a ton of Sterbai that are getting to over 1" and I'll probably sell a group to my LFS soon. It's pretty cool to watch them all swarm around the tank.

I lost all but 4 females from a group of 10 (5m, 5f) Praecox rainbows over the last year. Luckily, they bred and I got 7 (5m, 2f) that have been doing great in a 20 gallon. I had 4 runts in my cory tank as dithers and they're doing well but not great examples of Praecox. The M. Trifasciatas are doing great. I added 4 biggest ones in my 75 gallon with the 2 original parents and they're all doing well and look amazing. I have 13 left in another tank and they look amazing in the mornings when rainbows are most active and frisky.

I've been using guppies as dithers and they're probably the best dither fish. I started with 4 pairs earlier this year and now have about 50ish with babies popping out all the time. They do eat some algae so that's a bonus.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
24h later...
2019-11-04 23.07.17.jpg

The media in the MBF was tinted reddish-brown. After running with H2O2 for 24h, the media looks like new but still moves. When the media is well established, it should be a light brown color. The media I'm using is Aquaneat's version of Kaldnes K1 Micro. It has an extra "spoke" so there's a bit more surface area the the K1 Micro and it's a lot cheaper. After a couple of months or so, it's still neutrally bouyant and seems to flow pretty well. The media that came with the filters started to sink after a month.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like I have a new batch of L. Similis fry. I saw at least 6 hiding between the shells and can't be more than a couple of days old so I must be doing something right in that tank. I just dosed the tank with microworms so they'll have something to eat but even the biggest ones are snapping at the tiny worms.

I squeezed a couple of sponges from my shrimp tank into the pleco tank as it was getting some ammonia (.5). I used Quickstart in the tank and it might've worked a bit as I have nitrates and no nitrites but still some ammonia. I've always had good luck with squeezing sponges into new tanks but it's not pretty.

I moved 2 SAEs from my 40b display to the tank as well as the 4 Praecox from my 30 rimless. I have 5 more SAEs in my 75 gallon and I'm thinking of moving 2 more into the pleco tank. I moved the 13 ember tetras from the 10 gallon QT turned Sterbai growout tank to the 30. I lost 3 a couple of months ago for no apparent reason I could tell. I moved 12 of the oldest sterbai juvies (just over 1") into the 40b display. I might move a few more.

The 12 M Trifasciatas I'm saving for Lchi87 are really coloring up in the mornings and look like they might be breeding in the 30 gallon.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5 of 7 Panda Garras on the front glass. The skimmer was brown with algae but they cleaned it up. Now for the rest of the tank.
2019-11-08 12.10.09.jpg

My EBAs are spawning every 10-12 days so I decided to grab some to raise. They're eating microworms.
2019-11-25 19.02.59.jpg

I'm gonna hold off on new fish until I sell off a bunch of Sterbai juvies and the EBA fry. I also need to do some serious tank maintenance on all my display tanks and shuffle some more fish around to see what new fish I want to add.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did not realize the panda garras were algae eaters.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tfreema said:
I did not realize the panda garras were algae eaters.
They're omnivores but they do a decent job on some algae. I feed them everything from algae wafers to bloodworms. They're a lot of fun to watch.

Theosprey247

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So....no SCUBA?

I just read this thread sorry about your loss. You’ve inspired me to try planted tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom