Back drop or paint for Aquarium

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Demontay1, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Demontay1

Demontay1 Well Known Member Member

So i got my new second hand tank today in what many woyld consider craigslist but we call gumtree here in australia

Im stuck with a dilema should i paint the back drop black ir should i go out and ourchase a backdrop images

The fish i will be stocking are 6 corydora one angel fish and 8 rummynose yetras wich would stock my rank too 100 according to aqadvisor wich is pretty accurate

So what im wondering is what do u all think i should do too make my babies pop in my tank or if u have another idea throw it at me

I will be using a sand substrate not decided 9n what plants to use yet but throw me some ideas their too if u wish

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

I prefer using store bought backgrounds for my aquarium. By using these types of backgrounds, they can be changed at any time with much less hassle than scraping off paint and repainting, however, there is nothing wrong with painting the background if you want to do so. I have done it in the past on several tanks.

Your tank and your call.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Cheers im still vety undecided to paint or not as i also need to buff a heap of scratches out and no idea how too do tht they arnt noticable till u get close roo the tank

I do like the idea of a backdrop as it can add colour too an empty tank untill one can make up what plants too pit in the aquarium

4. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Thts my very basic tank atm i will use this threaf or start a new one when i start getting everything i need for the tank i am thinking a somewhat heavy planted tank as i want my angel too be my feature fish :)

Attached Files:

5. cmck83

cmck83 Valued Member Member

Bac drop or paint

I used a black vinyl wrap on the back of my tank, very cheap and can be changed at any time. You can buy it off eBay[​IMG]

6. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Actually thts a really good idea i never thought of using vinyl

Means it can be used as a backdrop haha

7. cmck83

I like the fact that I can change it at anytime, whereas if you were to paint it.. It would be a pain in the to change

8. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

It really would haha now im thinking about it i think i might stick too vinyl or back drop no paint for me :)

9. cmck83

Glad I could lend some advice haha

10. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Who on here has angels and what plants woyld u consider or recomend tht one they wont destroy and two brings out their unique characteristics

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I prefer removable backgrounds, that way if you change your mind they're easy to take off.
    I have angels with amazon swords & various crypts & they don't destroy those, the only time I see them pecking at leaves is when they're thinking about spawning or eating any cory eggs they find.

12. cmck83

Plus it has the added bonus of making selling the tank easier should you ever want to upgrade or quit the hobby

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Nice ill look into those plants do they need any special care

Also i never thoight of resale if i was too upgrade so thnxs for helpimg me decide too definitely stick too removable backdrops :)

14. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I've never had a problem with any plants and angels. If you have a pair of them, they would appreciate the long broad leaves of sword plants to lay eggs on.

15. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

Cherrs good sdvice bit i will only be keeping the one angel

16. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

I'm going to be one of the few who throws my support behind the painted background.

I painted the back of my tank, and it really looks nice and clean, without having to worry about bubbles or the background not making 100% contact. Ya know what I mean?

17. OP
    OP
    Demontay1

I do haha the bubbles are a pain but i learnt when usong back drop u wash it thn apply it firmly and flatten the bubbles out and u dont get small bubbles for months but u do have to keep on top if it :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice