Back Again With The Fin Rot :( Please Help!

BettaEmma

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Guys,

I've previously posted about my darling Betta who I bought with fin rot. Ever since I got him he has suffered on and off with it but now it's taking a turn for the worse and doesn't seem to improve much.

Tank is cycled, filtered and heated to about 78-80, ammonia and nitrites are consistently 0 and nitrates are ~5.

The tank is planted but recently I have been struggling with algae a little too. Not sure if that can contribute to his fin rot but this is my first planted tank so I'm not the best with the plants just yet.

Recently I went away and had a friend feed him for 6 days and although I told them to presoak the pellets in a clean cup of tank water, I'm not 100% sure they did because he was pretty bloated when I got back and showed signs of SBD.

I fasted him for a couple days and he seemed to right himself but now his swimming seems to be getting a little worse again and the fin rot is definitely coming back quickly and with a vengeance.

I am so sad! Ive had this little guy for 15 months or so now and he's such a fighter but he looks so sad now. He's always bounced back with just water changes before but he looks pretty under the weather now.

I have plenty of meds on hand that I bought a while ago just in case, so please let me know if you think it's time to use one of those. I have Kanamycin, API Erythromycin, Jungle Fungus Clear and Betta Revive.

My main concern is if I do use meds and they mess up my cycle, what do I do to fix it? Just frequent water changes?

Should I buy a smaller tank to quarantine him in? Would it need a filter? He lives alone so I think I could probably medicate him in his 5 gallon, but whatever is most effective works for me. Do I need to clean everything in his tank real good?

I will try and get some pics but his fins are darkened and fragile looking with progressive fin rot.

Many thanks!

hattie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had this problem with one of my bettas about a year ago. I have found and in my opinion once they have had fin rot they will get it back a lot easier. I would keep doing water changes and the medication melafix might help with the fin rot or at least slow it down. As bettas get older it gets harder to get rod of the fin rot. They get slower and there body’s don’t work as well
As for the algae: I would scrub it off of you tank and plants. Algae is usually caused by an excessive amount of phosphates and I think to much light.
Hope this helps and your little guy gets better!

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its getting bad, try the erythromycin. Fish get gram + infections too, kanamycin is too narrow in its bacteria control spectrum.

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could you post a picture so we can see exactly how bad it is? I would use the Jungle Fungus Cure as it contains Nitrafurazone, which is very effective for treating fin rot.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom