Back again - trying to figure out last part of fishless cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by LadySamsara, Aug 14, 2015.

1. LadySamsaraValued MemberMember

I tried for several days to reply to Hampalong's response and I kept getting a message that "my token had expired". Does anybody know what that means and why the forum would not allow me to answer?

So here is the content of my response: Hampalong, thanks so much for sticking with me on this. I have a container of the stuff that's supposed to cycle the tank overnight, I forget the name of it, it's in the car - I think it's a Marine product - do you think I should throw it in? I actually forgot I had it...it's been sitting in the heat since yesterday, if that matters.

When I redose with the ammonia, what is my ideal reading on the ammonia?

I am using the test strips....Unfortunately I am on a fixed income so I am going to have to finish them before I can buy the liquid - but I definitely will and I appreciate the information.

Thank you SO much!

2. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

What product is it exactly? Marine bacteria are different species so if it's a bacterial additive for marine tanks then no, don't use it. It doesn't really matter how much ammonia you use. A tank full of fish will produce far less than 1ppm per day. Usual advice is anywhere between 1 and 5, so anywhere in that range...

:)

3. DTurnerValued MemberMember

So if this is stuff to cycle a tank overnight i presume its just bacteria that will boost start the cycle process by adding established bacteria to the tank. I would think you could add some to the tank even though it has been in your car for a day, I'm sure its been in warehouse for much longer.

Ultimately to know the cycle is complete Ammonia and Nitrite should read 0 and Nitrates would be controlled by plants and/or water changes.

Hope that helps.

4. LadySamsaraValued MemberMember

Thank you DTurner, I so appreciate your help! Everything seems to be going along, nitrites spiking to 3ppm) (and ammonia dropping - 0.5 last read). A question - how high does the nitrite usually spike to? In any event, I know that when I have NO nitrites and no ammonia, I re=dose with a slight amount of ammonia, next day no ammonia = CYCLE!!!!! :) Of course, huge water change and then I am going to let the tank sit for a couple of days to be sure.

Thanks again for everything!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice