Back after a long hiatus

1. haphazzard Initiate Member

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I just picked up a new 46g bow front. I had about a dozen tanks ranging from 20g to 210g years ago but got out of the hobby after a divorce. I'm back, and quite a bit has changed in the hobby while I was away! I wanted to get opinions on some of the products I have chosen and my planned set up. I'm thinking I want to do a middle of the road planted set up. I have not even begun to think about the exact flora/fauna yet but I am pretty well versed on that subject and fish and plants requirements don't change much ; -). Here is what I'm thinking so far...

46g bow front tank

Ehiem 2213 or 2215 I know the 2215 may be a little over kill but the classics always had low flow rates in my experience.

2 150w Jager heaters I always run two heaters, even Jagers out some times and I keep my house cold.

A inline uv sterilizer. Maybe a aqua top 10w?

Finnex 24-7 LED light, this looks like a really cool unit and if I needed to supplement more light during the peek hours that wouldn't be a big deal.

For the substrate I feel the need to mix a bunch of together like I did in the old days but I have been told that ada new amazonia is fine all on its own and that it releases ammonia at first which will aid in fish less cycle.

I will most likely do a diy co2 unless the need arises for a more complex system any suggestions for good systems in case I decide to jump in right away?

So what do you all think? I am not really going with much new tech I feel comfortable with the stuff that I have used in the past but if anyone has suggestions for heaters or filter I will check them out. Also I am really having a hard time with the substrate, I tend to re-scape and move stuff around often so I don't really want to use dirt, been there, done that, hated it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

2. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome.
    My only suggestions is to go with the 2215, or even the 2217. You can never have too much filtration. Most here will suggest two heaters, which is a good idea. Or you can look at Hydor, they make a heater that attaches directly to the filter so there is less clutter in the tank. Black Diamond Blasting Sand is something that you can look I to if you like black sand. Other members can give you ideas on Co2.
    Hope this helps a little.

3. No Fishing Member Member

I would definitely recommend going with a hydor 350 with an in line heater so that way you don't have 2 heater units cluttering the tank.
    Also you can put a decent pressurized co2 system in for a reasonable price. Dr fosters and Smith and have a regulator with selanoid for 63$, tank costs 50$, after tubing counter and diffuser its about 150$.

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. :;hi1Alison

5. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello hap...

Odd sized tanks like a bow front will limit the equipment you can use as opposed to the standard rectangle, but you're the tank keeper. Stick with the easy to grow plants, they look just as nice as those needing high end lighting and CO2. Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne, Water sprite, Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are all easy and take nothing more than standard florescent bulbs.
    Be a good water changer and you'll need minimal filtration. A filter in the 150 to 200 gallon per hour (gph) range is plenty as long as you're willing the change half the tank water weekly. Pea-sized aquarium gravel will be easy to maintain and is good for the plants that need to go into the substrate. A couple of 100 watt heaters on opposite sides of the tank will work for a 36 G.

You've likely got the rest covered.

Have fun again!

Old

6. haphazzard Initiate Member

Thanks everyone for the replys!

I was looking at the inline heaters but I want a inline uv sterilizer and think that may be to much in my line ;-)

Oldsalt, what equipment would be limited by the bowfront? I cannot think of one thing...

I'm mostly asking about the new tech that I'm thinking about using and if anybody would recommend any new tech to use in place of the old stuff I'm planning to use and the new substrates avaliable these days.