Baby Yellow Lab cichlids

1. ilikefish Member Member

I have 3 baby yellow lab cichlids and they are all born within a month or two. However I've noticed that on two of mine they are developing a black colored line through their body. Does this mean they are a different type? or are they maybe a different sex? Ive never seen a yellow lab with a stripe that runs from head to tail fin in the middle of their sides.

Also, the fin above their heads is MUCH more pronounced in one of the fish... Does this mean anything?

Am I just over observing and are these differences just like the difference between blonds and brunets in the human world? lol

Thanks

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

congrats on the babies!!!!!
    sounds like you might have some lab hybrids..nothing wrong with them at all and just as lovable...give them time to mature and enjoy them in the meantime!

3. ilikefish Member Member

Ok thank you and I do love them :). Their very interesting to watch lol

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

get some pics if you can :)
    sometimes africans are totally in mixed tanks and it might be something else other than a lab ;)

5. izzasy Initiate Member

Hi there! I don't think that there is anything wrong with your labs, some chichlids change their color as they mature.

One of my convicts before was getting yellow spots. I thought it was something I did wrong, but turns out that as they mature, they really do add some color or perhaps even lose them as well.

6. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I know for a fact that cichlids change color while they get to the adult stage but usually the baby fish look like their mom and then they turn into male or female color if there's color difference but no yellow lab has a stripe going from front to tale. The only cichlid that is yellow that has a stripe like that are Bumblebee's.

7. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

they will change colors as they mature....give them time..if it doesnt disappear than you have some hybrids