Baby Swordies!

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

On Monday night round 2 o'clock, my female swordtail gave birth to about 22 babies or so. About 2-3 died at birth but the other 18-20 seem fine and today Wednesday ar looking good. They are all an orangish shade as both parents are and are eating ground flakes. I might try and get some fry food on Saturday, just to supplement the food.

:D

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

Almost forgot they're in a breeder box and am syphoning the bottom daily.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Good job J-Man!!!!
    They will be fine with the crushed flake but if you just want a baby food then First bites by Hikari is great. I use that to give my babies some variety. It's real fine and if you moisten the tip of your finger, dip finger in food and then swirl finger in the water it works real good. Haven't seen and refuse it yet ;) Good Luck
    Carol

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

They must all look lovely J-Man :) Congratns on being a fresh daddy, lol!

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thankyou, all is still well. They're growing pretty fast...
    I'll have a look for those at work on Saturday Butterfly

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

keep it up J-Man i hope things go well 4 u and thanks m8!!

thank u 2 all of u!!!!!!!!

C W

7. Craig Well Known Member Member

lol and yes it is me practicin my golf!!!

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

CONGRATULATIONS!   :D  CONGRATULATIONS!   :D  CONGRATULATIONS!   :D  CONGRATULATIONS!   :D  CONGRATULATIONS!   :D

Good for you!  Will we be seeing pictures  ;D  (I LOVE baby pictures!)?  How big do they get? 

Good Luck with your new babies.

Shalom,

Rose

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone, and I see if I can get some pics up soon.
    Also Craig you'd better not quit this hobby

10. Craig Well Known Member Member

i dont think fish r 4 me J-Man ! my goldfish tank wiped out a few years bak this is the 2nd big wipe out i've had its the water around here

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

As long as your gonna stay around the site. But seriously it was probably those new fish you ordered in, you hadn't had a chance to look if they were healthy.

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

Its been over a week now and they've gotten quite a bit bigger much easier to see them now. I have 20 I'm pretty sure, all of them have fat little stomachs and are swimming around, all exceppt for one which is still there its still tiny and doesn't eat. Its the runt of the group, it may be deformed or not formed enough I'm not quite sure. However things are looking good. I'm trying to see if I'm allowed to set up a 12 gallon for them to move into, because once they've outgrown the baby trap, they wont be able to go into the main, because the Angel & Synodontis will eat them.
    ;D

13. Jason Well Known Member Member

Also my other female swordtail is pregnant. She's probably a week or 2 awya from giving birth so I'm gonna have to get something organised with the other tank possibly. Not allowed to have the 50 gal I wanted in my room because they're afraid it'll leak and no water in bedroom rule. Yada yada yadda. Then i'm gonna see if I can work out a deal with my boss to give them the babies once they're older for a price. hehehehe!!! ;)

14. Jason Well Known Member Member

! baby died last night looked to have red marks on it. Not sure... I am still siphoning once a day as they are pooping more now as they grow older

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

I woke up yesterday morning to find my male swordtail had jumped into my baby trap. I couldnt believe it! There was one baby decapitated in there. Thats the only one that was killed than God! The rest are looking ok and you can distinguish that some have deeper colours than the others! :)

16. Jason Well Known Member Member

He did it again!!! Stupid fish this time he cannot kill any as they are now to big for his mouth. They're lookin good still! ;D

17. armadillo Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, orange fry! You are so lucky! Our molly fry from our golden nugget mum/black dalmatian sailfin dad are all silver, black or dark grey. Still, they're so much fun to watch!