Baby Squirrel. Help

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Dave125g, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Found him cold wet and very weak. Took him inside to warm him up and now feeding him warm milk with an eye dropper. Any help is appreciated. 0419181546-1.jpg

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

use warm blankets, dont let him get too cold or to hot. Or suffocate in blankets. And feet like every couple hours or so

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Keep it really warm, but not too hot at all.
    Make sure to keep an eye on it, do not let it have access to your home.

When the weather gets warmer, and he's recovered, then you are free to let him go.

4. CanadianFishFan

Also try to avoid too much human contact or handling, even though its new york state with lots of people.

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

OH MY GOD! It's so adorable! :p

6. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Do you have any guess on how old he is??

7. CanadianFishFan

couple months?

8. GrayGray4231

When they say "rice cereal" in this video, they mean this stuff  . Here is the video.

9. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

After raising it back to health, It may have already attached to you as its new mum. Are you ok with that as a possibility?

Do as much research as you can on squirrel care; here are a few useful links I found ranging from basics to advanced.

^^ they go in order from least detailed to most detailed!!

Please please please keep us updated and good luck!!

10. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I would have to take care of it myself but you can also probably find a squirrel or wildlife rescue in your area. I found a tiny baby skunk and located a place to take it. It is so stinking cute though!

11. GrayGray4231

The puns!! They are krilling me!!

12. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

That little guy will be pretty much weaned of milk in a couple weeks. I raised a little male when he was close to weaning age. He was fed warmed milk from a pipette for a week and then I started giving him seeds, fruits, nuts etc.

They are very friendly and even after releasing the squirrel I raised into my back yard (AKA the woods, we live in the middle of nowhere with acres of woods all around us) he still stuck around and I'd leave some water and food at the base of a certain tree in the yard. He'd even come over to play which is like playing with a kitten, they scratch and bite.

13. Goldiemom

My grandmother use to have some in a huge outdoor habitat when she lived by the lake. A hurricane destroyed the habitat but the squirrels stayed around. Never left her huge backyard which had other squirrels too. She could call them by name and they would come right up to her. She never caged them again.

14. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

He's much more active now that he's warmed up. He's mabee 3-4 months old. He loves the warm milk. After feeding he takes a 10 minute nap then squeaks for more milk. We have a few calls out to wildlife rescues in our area. Waiting for a return call. Poor thing was out in the snow all night alone. 0419181642a-1.jpg

15. Goldiemom

You can buy what I believe they call "Mother's Milk" to feed him/her. I use to just get it at the grocery store. It was a milk replacer for orphaned animals. He looks so happy that you found him/her.

16. GrayGray4231

He is adorable!!!!

17. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Ahhh!!!! So cute!!:) Watch for scours... Baby animals get them quickly from change of milk and it can be deadly!!! At least my experience with raising babies!!:)

18. J

Judith riepenhoff New Member Member

I have them in my yard and know that after twenty-five years they are new generations. They come all year long when I call them for me to feed them and to play. I love them so much
    They are a joy for an old lady. I have Chipmunks as well and they will eat right out of my hand as well.

19. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

We got plenty of chipmunks here too. I live in the middle of the woods too. 0928150951a.jpg

20. GrayGray4231

Did that video help??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice