Baby Snails!

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got 2 pieces of driftwood with Anubis on sun. I now have 3 baby snails on the side of my tank. I have 2 nerite snails but I haven't seen any eggs and I was told they can only reproduce in brackish water. I have no idea what kind of snails these are and I am assuming they hitched a ride on the Driftwood. What should I do?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Photobelle said:
I got 2 pieces of driftwood with Anubis on sun. I now have 3 baby snails on the side of my tank. I have 2 nerite snails but I haven't seen any eggs and I was told they can only reproduce in brackish water. I have no idea what kind of snails these are and I am assuming they hitched a ride on the Driftwood. What should I do?
Most likely they are pest snails that hitchhiked. If you post pictures we can help identify them

Most people dont like pest snails in their tanks, and i would remive them before they have time to reproduce.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here's the biggest one. They are tiny. I took them out and put them in a baggie til I figure it out lol .my platy is pregnant and ivthouI twe had babies then I was like wait they are stuck to the glass!

Attachments

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh man thats really hard to see XD any way you could take one out and take some pictures?
Looks vaguely like a pond or bladder snail because of the coloration and shell pattern, but its hard to see from this angle haha

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Perfect, thank you!

Yes those are pond snails. You might want to check for any egg sacks.. it'll look like 100s of small clear beads, usually laid at the base of a plant or under an overhang.

Photobelle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fjh said:
Perfect, thank you!

Yes those are pond snails. You might want to check for any egg sacks.. it'll look like 100s of small clear beads, usually laid at the base of a plant or under an overhang.
Ok I'll do that! They did check for snails at the store when I got the driftwood so I am assuming they would have seen that and these were just too small to see. I'll keep watching for more. What should I do with them? Lol right now they are in a baggie

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Photobelle said:
Ok I'll do that! They did check for snails at the store when I got the driftwood so I am assuming they would have seen that and these were just too small to see. I'll keep watching for more. What should I do with them? Lol right now they are in a baggie
Probably... pest snails are good at hiding... and reproducing

Do whatever you want with them. Some people toss them, some feed them to fish, give them away, etc

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i squish then and trash them. i do enjoy some "pest snils" though. just not them ones lol. best of luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom