Baby Snails With Kuhli Loach

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Cholo Anderzon, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

I used to have tree kuhuli loaches but I only have one now. I know that loaches eat snails so I conduct a research about snails being with kuhli loach first before I bought nerite snails and it turns out that it'll be fine since kuhli loaches are to small to even kill a snail except if its really small.
    Some weeks has past since I bought my nerites with a ivory snail that ends up being with the nerites I bought and then there were baby snails crawling around in my tank, I just don't know who's baby are they but their colors are black and translucent brown and white. I don't know if the baby nerites supposed to have a pain color when they were still baby or the baby snails in my tank came from the plants I planted in the tank but at any rate I'm worried that the kuhli loach might eat them, and here I'm planning to add aome kuhli loach to keep mine company.

Are the baby snails safe?
    I'm still planning to add more khulis but do it gave to be in my other tank or my baby snails will be just fine even with school of kuhlis roaming around in the same tank?

Thanks..

2. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Kuhlis don't bother snails; you should be fine. :)

3. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

After I introduced my Kuhlis to my tank, I find an occasional empty baby snail shell here and there.
    I don't know if this is just a coincidence.
    Most likely your baby's are no nerites. The eggs need salt water to hatch.

4. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

I hope the same thing goes toward puny baby snails..
    Thanks..

5. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

I just really hope it's just a coincidence.
    How many kuhlis do you have? At the moment I only have one and if the baby snails will be safe with only one kuhli then maybe I'll wait for them to grew bigger before I add more kuhlis.

I used to put 12 gram of rock salt per gallon for about two weeks every water changes when my mollies and guppies got fungal disease.

I hope they are baby nerites. I don't want my plants be pested by these snails when they got bigger..

6. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

As mentioned, nerite eggs don't hatch in fresh water so these may be pest snails. Just don't overfeed and pick out the ones you do see and their population shouldn't get out of hand.

7. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

After I introduced my Kuhlis to my tank, I find an occasional empty baby snail shell here and there.
    I don't know if
    I have 8 Kuhlis. They like to live is a big group, having one kuhli loaches not a good idea :(
    I just watch on kuhli peck on a ramshorns snail, about 1/4 inch. It pulled back into the shell and was left alone.
    I think you will be fine with Kuhlis and snails. They are not like other loaches that eat snails.
    I like my ramshorns and bladder snails, they are good algae eaters and keep my plants in shape.
    Time to get new friends for your kuhli :)

8. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

You're right.. I'm planning to add more kuhlis for a while now.

I thought ramshorns suppose to eat plants? That's also what my seller told me when I bought my snails.

Are your plants has broad leaves because I'm keeping cabomba, bacopa, hornwort, hydrocotyle tripartita, hygrophila polysperma, java moss and malaysian fern in my tank. Do yo think that they'll be safe when I add ramshorn in my tank?

Thanks..

9. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

I have never seen ramshorns/bladder/pond snails eat healthy plants. They clean up when there is a dead leaf or so.

10. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

Is that so..
    Thanks..

I guess I'll also get maybe 20 ramshorns next time I went to a pet shop..

11. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

My kuhlis have developed an appetite for both bladder and mts. They do however only go after the small snails. Im not sure how much they eat of the snails but the snails are definitely dead by the time they are done with them

12. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

Aw.. That's kind of scary and unfortunate at the same time..
    Makes me think twice whether to add ramshorns or not..

13. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

Usually snails come with plants that you buy at an LFS. I guess I wouldn't buy 20 but wouldn't freak out if there is a snail attached to a plant. Depending on the amount they get to eat, they multiply more quickly than some people appreciate. A bladder snail is very small compared to a ramshorns snail. Like I said, I have snails with Kuhlis and they don't eradicate them.

14. Cholo AnderzonValued MemberMember

I guess you're right..
    Maybe I'll just get about 10 of them and add more kuhlis incase their population got out of hand..
    Anyway thanks for the informations, opinions and suggestions..