Baby snail

Wrona0306
Hi everyone
This morning want feed my betta and i realize i have baby snail in my fish tank
I had no snail in tank till 2day. Anyone know how this little boy get to my tank. Tank is 5 weeks old and this is 1st time i have seen him. What kind of snail it is? Keep him or take him out?

JLAquatics
Looks like a baby Ramshorn to me. It likely came as a hitchhiker on one of your live plants or decorations in the form of snail eggs. You likely have more snails where that one came from. If you find you get too many of these, there are ways of controlling their populations;

1. Do not overfeed. Overfeeding fish food or any organic matter will result in a population explosion in snails as they will utilize the extra nutrients to expand their colony.
2. Control their populations by picking up natural predators. Various Loaches and Assassin snails make great inhabitants if your snail population gets out of hand.
3. Manual removal by placing a veggie in the tank at night and taking it out the next morning. Ramshorn snails are opportunistic and will eat most anything they can find. You will be able to remove good chunks of their population by doing this.
4. Regular fish tank maintenance. This is a big one, regularly cleaning the tank and performing water changes will remove some of the waste and detritus that builds up (a food source for Ramshorn snails).

Ramshorn snails IMO are not as bad as some people crack them up to be. With following these tips you will ensure you have some of the best algae and detritivores around, making your aquarium better for your other inhabitants.

Wrona0306
JLAquatics said:
Looks like a baby Ramshorn to me. It likely came as a hitchhiker on one of your live plants or decorations in the form of snail eggs. You likely have more snails where that one came from. If you find you get too many of these, there are ways of controlling their populations;
1. Do not overfeed. Overfeeding fish food or any organic matter will result in a population explosion in snails as they will utilize the extra nutrients to expand their colony.
2. Control their populations by picking up natural predators. Various Loaches and Assassin snails make great inhabitants if your snail population gets out of hand.
3. Manual removal by placing a veggie in the tank at night and taking it out the next morning. Ramshorn snails are opportunistic and will eat most anything they can find. You will be able to remove good chunks of their population by doing this.
4. Regular fish tank maintenance. This is a big one, regularly cleaning the tank and performing water changes will remove some of the waste and detritus that builds up (a food source for Ramshorn snails).
I dont have sny snails in any of my tanks and this is weird. Do you know how old can be

JLAquatics
Wrona0306 said:
I dont have sny snails in any of my tanks and this is weird. Do you know how old can be
The eggs likely came from a recent plant you got from online or the pet store. Did you purchase anything recently in the form of live plants or wood?

Wrona0306
JLAquatics said:
The eggs likely came from a recent plant you got from online or the pet store. Did you purchase anything recently in the form of live plants or wood?
I order online tropica invitro plants
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala indyca
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Anubias nana
Limnophilia sesslilifolia
And this is it my friend but yesterday i was replanting limnophilia becouse grow to big so i was pull plant with roots cut off roots part and replant top part with new and bright green color. Maybe snail was somewhere in there. I was asking how old this snail can be becouse tank is just 5 weeks old. Maybe this snail is 4 or 5 weeks old and i get him with plants but tropica have best quality plants so i get confused

PurpleReign19
Wrona0306 said:
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala indyca
Anubias nana
And this is it my friend but yesterday i was replanting limnophilia becouse grow to big so i was pull plant with roots cut off roots part and replant top part with new and bright green color. Maybe snail was somewhere in there. I was asking how old this snail can be becouse tank is just 5 weeks old. Maybe this snail is 4 or 5 weeks old and i get him with plants but tropica have best quality plants so i get confused
Could have been hiding in some of those plants. Snails can get anywhere so I dont think its even possible to be completely “snail safe”. Ramshorns are the best of the pests though. They will keep you tank clear of algae for sure and dont get very big. They are also indestructible. I had gravel sitting in a strainer for a week before setting
up a new tank and when I put the gravel in the new tank snails crawled out.

JLAquatics
Wrona0306 said:
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala indyca
Anubias nana
This is where you got your snails from. No matter whether the plants are grown emersed in tissue cultures or submerged, snail eggs can still find their way into plants. It is very difficult for companies to remove 100 percent of eggs 100 percent of the time, so it does not mean that Tropica is a bad company by any means. Like I said, snails are easily manageable with a few easy steps and some people view them as a pest due to how easy they can multiply. However, following my tips gives you a bigger success rate. I actually have Ramshorn and Bladder snails in my aquarium right now and I welcome them with open arms. Everything contributes to a mini ecosystem in my opinion.

PurpleReign19
JLAquatics said:
This is where you got your plants from. No matter whether the plants are grown emersed in tissue cultures or submerged, snail eggs can still find their way into plants. It is very difficult for companies to remove 100 percent of eggs 100 percent of the time, so it does not mean that Tropica is a bad company by any means. Like I said, snails are easily manageable with a few easy steps and some people view them as a pest due to how easy they can multiply. However, following my tips gives you a bigger success rate. I actually have Ramshorn and Bladder snails in my aquarium right now and I welcome them with open arms. Everything contributes to a mini ecosystem in my opinion.
Agreed. The snails make it more natural and help keep tanks clean.

Wrona0306
JLAquatics said:
This is where you got your snails from. No matter whether the plants are grown emersed in tissue cultures or submerged, snail eggs can still find their way into plants. It is very difficult for companies to remove 100 percent of eggs 100 percent of the time, so it does not mean that Tropica is a bad company by any means. Like I said, snails are easily manageable with a few easy steps and some people view them as a pest due to how easy they can multiply. However, following my tips gives you a bigger success rate. I actually have Ramshorn and Bladder snails in my aquarium right now and I welcome them with open arms. Everything contributes to a mini ecosystem in my opinion.
Free snail hurrrrra
Thanks mate for wee conversation

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom