Baby Snail Id Help Please

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by lockedup, Apr 24, 2019.

1. lockedupValued MemberMember

I was surprised to find 2 little snails have popped up in my tank.
    They must be stowaways from the driftwood I got about 3-4 weeks ago.

Anyway, not really important to me how they got in there... but I would like to know what they are (or could be).

I only have nerite snails because they are not supposed to breed in fresh water and I don't want a tank full of snails.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

99.9% of the time when you get a snail hitchhiker its going to be a pond or bladder snail which is exactly what it looks like you aquired!

3. IceForeverValued MemberMember

They kinda look like the baby nerites I have in my tank?

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Nerites dont breed in freshwater. They do lay eggs but need brackish water to actually hatch.

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

can you post a pic of your snails?

6. lockedupValued MemberMember

7. lockedupValued MemberMember

There are a bunch of pictures in the first post.

I think they are pond snails :(

8. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

9. IceForeverValued MemberMember

By the way, I know nerites aren’t ‘supposed’ to be able to breed in fresh water (or rather their eggs don’t hatch), but it is in fact a possibility. I’m not saying that kall is incorrect, because I am familiar with those snails as well and they do look the same now that I’m looking closer at all your pics...stumbled across their info when I was researching why I had baby snails in my tank and the spots where my nerites has laid eggs were empty with just a ring around where the eggs were...but yeah...

10. IceForeverValued MemberMember

I only see them every once in a while but I’ll try to remember to get one when next I see them. They’re definitely nerites though, I watched the eggs hatch. Luckily my angel gets most of them so I’m not overrun.

11. IceForeverValued MemberMember

There have been a lot of occurrences of nerite eggs hatching in freshwater aquariums if you dig around. I couldn’t believe it either as I had always been told by everybody that they wouldn’t hatch. But sure enough I had egg spots missing and eventually found the little guys cruising around

12. Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Pond snail or ramshorn snail is my guess. They breed like crazy. I have them in most of my tanks.

13. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

are you possibly confusing them with maylasian trumpet snails with the long shells? if so they usually hide under your substrate.. but then again i guess we can't rule anything out in the aquatic world.

14. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

did your eggs look like this?

15. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

16. IceForeverValued MemberMember

Haha no I have trumpets as well to stir up my gravel for me. I’ve watched my nerites lay the eggs, it’s definitely them, and correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that trumpet snails are livebearers and don’t lay eggs?

17. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I've only aquired MTS from petco ( their tanks are overrun by them ) so i put a few in each of my 6 tanks. Never had a snail overpopulation but have had quite a few ramshorn from a single one i got from some java fern close to 2 years ago

18. PredatorAquaticKeeperValued MemberMember

Most definitely a pond snail or bladder snail. And if you're not careful, they will completely overrun your tank! I'm having that issue right now! Lol. They reproduce like crazy and have A LOT of babies at a time. This is what their eggs look like... 1556150904281.jpg

19. lockedupValued MemberMember

788CBFD1-911E-49E0-A1C8-D9A9CB406E44.jpeg
    Does this look like more eggs?

20. PredatorAquaticKeeperValued MemberMember

Are you talking about on the rock? In your picture?