Baby Shrimps And Baby Otocincluses

Isabela11

Hello. 1 day ago my cherry shrimp gave birth to tiny little shrimplets. The are small dots with two tails. They hang on the glass. But I discovered also other little (smaller) spots. They don't have two tails but have one longer tail. Do you think that they could be baby otocincluses? Sadly I can't get a photo of them they are so tiny. Do any of you have a photo? I also have Detritus Worms on the glass.

EbiAqua

Hello. 1 day ago my cherry shrimp gave birth to tiny little shrimplets. The are small dots with two tails. They hang on the glass. But I discovered also other little (smaller) spots. They don't have two tails but have one longer tail. Do you think that they could be baby otocincluses? Sadly I can't get a photo of them they are so tiny. Do any of you have a photo? I also have Detritus Worms on the glass.

Sounds more like copepods and cyclops unfortunately. Baby shrimp look just like miniature adults, never seen oto fry but they are most likely not what you see as they are very difficult to breed in captivity.

Isabela11

Sounds more like copepods and cyclops unfortunately. Baby shrimp look just like miniature adults, never seen oto fry but they are most likely not what you see as they are very difficult to breed in captivity.
Wow you are right.. Are they dangerous?
But what happened to baby shrimps? The mother doesn't have them anymore. When she was pregnant you could see them in her belly now she doesn't have them anymore and she has a black thing in her head (don't know if she had that before..). I read once that when she's pregnant this black thing is carrying the eggs and when the eggs are hatched the black thing get's back up to show that she's sexually mature. I hope I wrote that correctly. I didn't see any shrimplets..

EbiAqua

Wow you are right.. Are they dangerous?
But what happened to baby shrimps? The mother doesn't have them anymore. When she was pregnant you could see them in her belly now she doesn't have them anymore and she has a black thing in her head (don't know if she had that before..). I read once that when she's pregnant this black thing is carrying the eggs and when the eggs are hatched the black thing get's back up to show that she's sexually mature. I hope I wrote that correctly. I didn't see any shrimplets..
The microfauna in a shrimp tank is usually harmless, consider them a sign of a balanced, healthy tank.

The shrimplets are only a few mm and prefer to stay hidden. They often stay in dense plant cover, under rock or wood, etc.

Isabela11

The microfauna in a shrimp tank is usually harmless, consider them a sign of a balanced, healthy tank.

The shrimplets are only a few mm and prefer to stay hidden. They often stay in dense plant cover, under rock or wood, etc.
Thank you very much for your help. I added a picture of the shrimp. What do you think? Did she give birth or not yet?

Attachments

• IMG_20181104_185444.jpg
    IMG_20181104_185444.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 84

Coradee

Hi, this is one of my pics of newly hatched Oto fry for comparison

7AE04EDE-4262-4602-BB77-6C8C87B1B5FB.jpeg

Isabela11

Hi, this is one of my pics of newly hatched Oto fry for comparison

7AE04EDE-4262-4602-BB77-6C8C87B1B5FB.jpeg
Wow they are sooooo cute Sadly I don't have baby otos but would love to have them They look amazing!

EbiAqua

Thank you very much for your help. I added a picture of the shrimp. What do you think? Did she give birth or not yet?

Hard to tell in the pic, can't get a good look at her undercarriage. Female shrimp will carry their cluster of eggs under their tail until the fry hatch. They are usually a greenish-yellow hue and a female shrimp carrying eggs is called a "berried" female.

Isabela11

Hard to tell in the pic, can't get a good look at her undercarriage. Female shrimp will carry their cluster of eggs under their tail until the fry hatch. They are usually a greenish-yellow hue and a female shrimp carrying eggs is called a "berried" female.
I actually saw that she might still have eggs and they shifted up to her head. Is that normal?

EbiAqua

I actually saw that she might still have eggs and they shifted up to her head. Is that normal?

If she has a dark patch on her back, the "saddle", that means she is ready to reproduce again. If she was carrying eggs and they're gone, they've either hatched or she dropped them due to stress.

Isabela11

If she has a dark patch on her back, the "saddle", that means she is ready to reproduce again. If she was carrying eggs and they're gone, they've either hatched or she dropped them due to stress.
I think they are not getting closer to the tail but to the head. They are getting darker.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JennCav
Replies
Views
JenC
Replies
Views
Tyler Fishman
Replies
Views