Baby Shrimp Or Something Else?

aced it

I’ve had a small colony of cherry shrimp for nearly 2 months, and about 3 weeks ago, I noticed that the female was berried. A week later, she wasn’t carrying the eggs anymore, and I couldn’t see any baby shrimp so I assumed there had been something wrong with the eggs or she aborted them or something. Two weeks later (aka today) I was watching the shrimp and noticed little grayish white specks moving around on the substrate. They’re much too small to get a clear picture of, but I think I saw a nearly translucent tail and legs on one of them, but I could just be seeing what I want to. To anyone familiar with breeding neocaridina, could these be baby shrimp, or are they more likely some other organism? How long does it take baby shrimp to grow, and how big are they at different ages? Is it normal to not see babies for two weeks? Thanks so much

itsEmma

Hi, yes, what you've seen is very possibly your 'new' shrimp babies!
If you think how tiny the eggs are (the female carries around 10-20) and that looks small when they're all clumped together. Now the size of an individual egg-that's the size that the baby shrimp will be when it's born. And, yes, transparent too!!
Basically pretty impossible to see for a week or so, then, all of a sudden, just as you've witnessed, a little shape moves and there they are...
If you haven't already got some, I'd suggest getting some Bacter AE as it creates lots of biofilm for the new babies to eat.
Hope this helps!
richie.p HI Richie, anything I've missed here-I know that you always have lots of interesting facts and figures about baby shrimp!! ☺

aced it

Okay, I'll look into getting some! I also have extra moss from my established tank that I could move in if that would help. I didn't realize the shrimplets would be so tiny, although it makes sense with the adults being so small! Thanks so much!

itsEmma

No problem!
The other thing that I forgot to mention is the 'fun' you'll have when cleaning the tank, especially vacuuming the substrate!
No matter how hard you try, you'll always end up sucking up a few babies-then it's a case of studying the bucket with the removed water/waste VERY carefully, netting the babies and popping them back into the tank.
Last week, I was certain that I hadn't sucked up any, didn't even think that I had any babies atm, but, on studying the bucket, found about 5 or 6!

richiep

HI aced it itsEmma is right in what's she's saying hI Emma. Also shrimplets do tend to hide for a few weeks after being born especially if you have a strong tank light as they don't have eyelids, and they are almost impossible to see with the naked eye,What your describing with the colour is exactly what your should see, even at this stage they are probably only about 2mm long, over time I've found that if you use a syphon tube you can suck the small shrimp into it put your finger over the end then pop back into the tank it seems to work better than the net, if you don't fancy doing it that way then invest in a proper shrimp net, never told itsEmma about that one
CONGRATULATIONS

itsEmma

I knew you'd have a good bit of advice Richie!
You must be very quick to be able to get the babies into the end of a tube to syphon up. I use a little triangle shaped shrimp net (from Pro shrimp) as the babies just fall through the holes of my normal nets!
It takes me ages chasing them around the bucket to catch them (while threatening to just pour them down the sink!) ☺

richiep

Ok why not pour them into the net
Honestly it simple with the tube very easy
Edit
The other thing the shrimp nets we use are dense so when you push it toward the shrimp you are moving water which is heavier than the shrimp with the result you push the shrimp away

itsEmma

Ok why not pour them into the net
Honestly it simple with the tube very easy
Edit
The other thing the shrimp nets we use are dense so when you push it toward the shrimp you are moving water which is heavier than the shrimp with the result you push the shrimp away
.....it's more like whenever I get the net close to them, they bolt away and I have to try to 'corner' them to catch them (not ideal in a round bucket!!)
I don't mind really, it's nice to see so many babies that I never knew were there!

aced it

Thank yoy so much for all the information! I'll be sure to be extra careful with water changes. I don't want to wash any shrimplets down the drain! I did move some java moss over, but I can't tell if the new babies are on it or not. My amanos love picking through it, so hopefully the cherries do too!

aced it

I moved the shrimp from their 1 gallon bowl to a 10 gallon a couple weeks ago, and I thought I lost all the babies in the move, but today I saw this!

8B7ECC4F-3027-46AC-8A94-9D29CD50235E.png
9FCFF974-BE90-41FB-A84E-67CF01BEA07E.png
My phone didn’t pick it up very well, but there were two tiny shrimp grazing on the driftwood! For size reference, here’s the fully grown female on the same part of the driftwood.

31EC6038-28A8-482E-B302-63A5C96B3D78.jpeg I’m beyond excited to finally be able to see and photograph them!

itsEmma

Congratulations!
No matter how many times you read 'it's SO easy to breed Cherry Shrimp....' it's still very exciting to have babies for the first time.
I think that I must've taken a picture of my first berried female every single day of her pregnancy and loads and loads of pics of the babies as soon as I spotted them.
It'll be great to see your little colony begin to grow over the coming months-well done!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Kyle Holmes
Replies
Views
Ton1
Replies
Views