Baby shrimp going crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My first batch of baby blue velvets, the babies are now probably around 1/3", tonight they are whizzing around like its a racetrack, usually it's super hard to spot even a single baby, but right but right now I can see at least 10 speeding around.

Is this behaviour particularly odd? The only difference about today is I dropped an invert food stick in there, which I do every couple of days or so.

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it just (or mostly) males zipping around? That's normal breeding behavior.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it just (or mostly) males zipping around? That's normal breeding behavior.
I know that males swim around looking for females, but this is the baby shrimp, so I didn't think they would be breeding yet since they are so tiny. I was u dear the impression shrimp don't breed until they are around 2-3 months old, I only had the adults about a month so the babies are at max a month.

The behaviour just seemed odd since I hadn't seen them do it before and I do watch them a lot since shrimp fascinate me so much.

Tested water parameters as you do and nitrates were 5-10ppm, I do my water changes on a Sunday. I will probably do 10% change today and then 10-20% tommorow.

happyfins14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Atlantis. Under the ocean, where all fish lovers w
Experience
4 years
I know that males swim around looking for females, but this is the baby shrimp, so I didn't think they would be breeding yet since they are so tiny. I was u dear the impression shrimp don't breed until they are around 2-3 months old, I only had the adults about a month so the babies are at max a month.

The behaviour just seemed odd since I hadn't seen them do it before and I do watch them a lot since shrimp fascinate me so much.

Tested water parameters as you do and nitrates were 5-10ppm, I do my water changes on a Sunday. I will probably do 10% change today and then 10-20% tommorow.
Good plan. How is the ammonia and ph?

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haven't tested ph, ammonia and nitrite are zero, of course it's alway the fist thing I test.
I don't test ph very often on any of my tanks, not on any kind of schedule anyway, the tanks usually stay at 7.2-7.4.

The babies were pretty active again today, I'm new to shrimp keeping if you don't count ghost shrimp, this is my first batch of babies that I'm super happy about. I was told Blue Velvets don't always do so great so when I started seeing baby shrimp after only having them a few weeks I was pretty happy.

happyfins14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Atlantis. Under the ocean, where all fish lovers w
Experience
4 years
Haven't tested ph, ammonia and nitrite are zero, of course it's alway the fist thing I test.
I don't test ph very often on any of my tanks, not on any kind of schedule anyway, the tanks usually stay at 7.2-7.4.

The babies were pretty active again today, I'm new to shrimp keeping if you don't count ghost shrimp, this is my first batch of babies that I'm super happy about. I was told Blue Velvets don't always do so great so when I started seeing baby shrimp after only having them a few weeks I was pretty happy.
Okay.. hmmmm.... If all they're doing is being extra active, I would really worry unless they start dying off? I don't know... I'm also new to shrimp keeping if you don't count ghost shrimp lol.

Anyways good luck with the babies And congrats on them, too!

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks!
hopefully I will be an expert soon! I have some more shrimp of the red variety coming this week from EricV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom