Baby red root floaters or some other plant?

PongLee

image.jpg
I originally only had red root floaters I’m pretty sure, so idk if these are new red root floaters after I took some out, or if another plant found a home on the water surface

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 12

ProudPapa

Congratulations. I believe you have duck weed. It's the gift that keeps on giving. If you don't like it and want to get rid of it you can dip it out with a net, then burn the net. Repeat weekly for forever.

Eelectric

If you have shrimp in the tank they might really love duckweed, but uh, yeah what ProudPapa said.

PongLee

Is there ANY way to get rid of it. Easy or hard?

Cue

Napalm supposedly works well.

Joking aside, you’d have to get every single piece out of the tank. Very hard. Depending on how lucky you are you could possibly do it, but not likely. Apparently it doesn’t like faster moving water, so that might be helpful?

Fortunately I have been spared of it so far, so I’m not super knowledgeable on it. If you really don’t like it start another tank because you’d probably need to drain the current one to eradicate it.

Flyfisha

I have been fighting duckweed and slow winning.

With frog bit you will need to remove a small amount of the frogbit to another tank. Toss all the other floating plants away. Continue daily netting of any duckweed in that tank. Only after a few weeks/ a month or two can you add a little CLEAN frogbit back.

It’s not impossible but it will take time and daily inspection.
I have been fighting duckweed and slow winning.

With frog bit you will need to remove a small amount of the frogbit to another tank. Toss all the other floating plants away. Continue daily netting of any duckweed in that tank. Only after a few weeks/ a month or two can you add a little CLEAN frogbit back.

It’s not impossible but it will take time and daily inspection.

ProudPapa

I saw a video on youtube where the guy got a wet/dry shop vac and used that to suck it up. I haven't resorted to that, but I haven't seen any in my tanks in a few months, so I have some hope that I got it all. Persistence is the key.

Scoop out as much as you can with whatever tool is handy. When you get down to just a few, the best method I've found is to use curved tip planting tweezers to remove individual plants by grabbing them just under the leaves. You can pretty easily wipe them off with a towel. When using a net it's very difficult to get it all off after dipping it out. Get all you see.

After doing that the first time, you may think you have all of it, but you don't. Check closely every few days, and remove any you see. Hopefully you can get it before it reproduces. If you wait too long you have to start all over.

Mudminnow

I've found using an Eheim Skim 350 is an easy way to get rid of duckweed. You'll need to remove all the red root floaters and anything else the duckweed can stick to first. And, you'll need to remove as much duckweed as you can before you start the skimmer.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kathylee
Replies