Baby Red Oscar Color

Joshbemis19
I have 2 baby red Oscars. They seem to not be colored very well. The area that was supposed to be red looks pale and discolored. Will they get more colorful as they grow or is that just how they’ll look? Is there anything I can do to give them better colors?

Demeter
Pictures? When did you get them and what is their tank setup like? A stressed fish will be dull in color, that being said most young fish have less color than when they become adults, but Oscars should be pretty colorful even when young. That being said, good quality foods help improve color, meaty foods like frozen krill, blood worms, and brine shrimp should be good for small Oscars but they will eventually need larger foods as they grow.

Are they acting normal, eating and all swimming around?

Joshbemis19
I am not home right now, but when I get home I will send pictures. They are about 3 inches long. They are in a 55 gallon tank with a tan gravel substrate, a log structure, a piece of fake driftwood, and a tall green plant. The tank has a lot of open area. I have been feeding the HikarI Cihlid Gold pellets. They have been eating but are still very shy of people. They eat a pellet or two and then retreat back to the structure

Joshbemis19
This is the Red Oscar’s color

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 143
Joshbemis19
This is the Lutino Red Oscar’s color

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 131
Joshbemis19
This is the tank setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 117
chromedome52
Not abnormal color, but they could use some red-enhancing foods.

Joshbemis19
Ok I will get some
Thanks

Demeter
They look alright to me, but I think they could use more cover. Younger fish can be pretty shy when there's not enough cover and will hide constantly in whatever cover they have.

I think if you add more decor they will come out more and be more social. As for color enhancing foods, I agree and suggest brine shrimp pellets and/or flakes. I believe the brine shrimp have a certain pigment that will enhance reds and oranges in the fish.

Joshbemis19
Ok I will add more decor ASAP. Are oscars ok with rock or do they like more of wood and plants? I will pick up some brine shrimp soon.
Thanks

Albifrons
Frozen foods like blood worms will also be helpful to them, since dietary diversity is always a good things, plus the red coloration will help with boosting the oscars colors.

Demeter
Hmm I think anything would work really. A few big pieces of wood, a few large rocks and you should be good. Don't go spending a fortune on hard-scape though, you will probably end up removing some of the rock/wood work as they grow up.

Joshbemis19
Ok, I already have some frozen bloodworms in the freezer, but I haven’t tried feeding them to the Oscars yet. I’ll give it a go tonight.
Thanks

Joshbemis19
I re-scaped the tank. Hopefully this will help with them being shy and feeling insecure.

Let me know what you guys think. Anything I should change?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 125
Demeter
Looks better to me With the decor spread out they should feel more comfortable exploring the tank.

Joshbemis19
Ok awesome! I’ll keep you posted if they start to look better.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
!poogs!
Replies
Views
LexiNicoleAKAFishAddict
Replies