Baby platy who is sick?

• Thread starter Valleriani
  • Start date

Valleriani

I have a baby platy who came from another play in my tank and is probably about 2 months old now. I've had baby platies before and they been alright but about a week and a half ago she started to act odd.

She's clamped up and hides alot, but is mostly swimming at the bottom of the tank. She doesn't really want to eat either.. It's odd as she is also not showing any visible problems on her nor is she bloated. I'm not really sure what could be the issue or if I should move her. The bigger problem is I live in Sweden and we can't really get much meds for them that would really be useful bar some salt.(I have another tank but don't know if it's even worth it for a little salt, which just might kill her.)

She must be eating a little sometime but it's never during eating. I don't think she'd survive a week and a half without food.

Tank has been going for a year and a half. No issues with the tank and readings. (nitrate/ammonia/etc) PH is 6.9 for these fish and always been.

Any suggestions? I assume there is not much I can do here, but figured I'd ask.

I don't have any males in the tank generally, all female platies and the other 5-6 are doing fine with no issues. 'No boys allowed'.

Lucifer93

Sorry that your platy isn't doing too well.

Is there anything else unusual that you noticed with the baby platy, like scratching on decorations or something like that? If not, then maybe it's getting bullied by the other platies, which might explain the clamped fins and hiding.

Valleriani

Nay no scratchings. I have seen her kind of shimmy sometimes in spot but I think it's due to her being sort of weak rather than the shimmies/poor water conditions (Obviously I change 40-50% of the water weekly and test too, I would think other fish might suffer too if it was bad as well but haven't had a death in a long time.)

In terms of bullying,I haven't seen her be bullied or chased, even when foods out. The girls are pretty calm and good to each other. They only really showed a little bit of it when we added a new platy in the tank. My tank is a 220g and it's pretty understocked, so they have plenty of room and lots of hiding spots with live plants/rocks/etc. It could be happening when I'm not looking but even during feed time they literally ignore her.

Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom