Baby Platy Deformity

1. icecube1914 Initiate Member

This platy is about 8 months old now. He has been living with danio Glofish that have all died from the same disease (curved spine, sunken stomach). After all those fish died, this baby is the only one left in the 20g tank. Over the past two months, I started noticing the baby getting the same deformity like the glofish. His stomach is slightly sunken and his tail sort of point upwards. I did one round of the API General cure to try and help it, but I haven't noticed any difference. The symptoms of wasting disease seemed to be what it has, but I have never seen it have white feces (although i have never seen it poop either). Does anyone know if this is the wasting disease that cannot be cured or if there is anything else i can try to help my fish?

all my water tests have shown to be good conditions, although my tank does not include a heater. Could not having a heater for the fish have anything to do with this.

IMG_7150.JPG

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I wouldnt classify an 8 month old platy as a baby. He should have reached an almost full grown size at about 3 months looks either very stunted or just genetically weak - im rooting for the first one. Sunken belly and deformities remind me of Tuberculosis.

3. BravetheBetta Well Known Member Member

sounds like fish TB to me. remember to wash your hands real well after handing that tank, as TB can transmit to humans, too. no /true/ cure to fish tb, unfortunately, and while some have had limited success with broad spectrum anti-bacterials, it has been as such - limited.

i'm so sorry it turned out like this for you :(

4. icecube1914 Initiate Member

I also thought it was fish TB, but other than the sunken belly, it appears to have no other symptoms: always swimming around the tank, eats regularly, no loss of scales, etc.
    Do you think kanaplex or metroplex would be a good idea to try and treat him with?

5. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

If you dont think it is TB then maybe they are internal parasites in which case kanaplex and metroplex wont work.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member