Baby Peppered Cory Starving :( Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Freshwater-Freshman, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Freshwater-Freshman

Freshwater-FreshmanValued MemberMember

I just found one of my baby corys laying on his side, I was already worried that they weren't a getting enough because my cherry barbs are JERKS. These 3 females eat EVERYTHING and I was afraid they would burst, so I cut back. I have plans to move the corys into their own 20 gallon to stop this, but this little guy seems to have missed out on too much for too long. Do you think he will perk up and eat the blood worms in the little container he's in?

He let me scoop him up with my hand.. That's probably a bad sign..
    He's staying upright for now, and swam a little after I helped him back up. Is there anything else I can do?

BTW the rest of them are doing fine and don't look too thin, but they are still so small and I think 4 are males, who seem to stay skinnier

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231Well Known MemberMember

Try hand-feeding him asap!

3. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

My corys love fluval bug bites.. but as many with community tanks, the other pigs (gourami) get most the food. I have bdbs (sandy) bottom. I find if I put my fingers in the water, they go straight to the bottom and the corys will get them.. others say to put food in 30 min after lights out so the other fish don't see it.

4. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

He's in there with a lot of worms, I'll try pushing them to him but he swims away as much as he can

5. GrayGray4231

Put him in your hand and try that way

6. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

They won't be going in with more community fish until they are bigger, this is just not ideal, I feel so bad for the little guy. He keeps falling over when he moves

I'll try to feed them more in the dark, right now I basically just wave the barbs away with my hand until the corys are done eating

Just scoop him up with some worms? He is pretty scared of me but I'll try to feed him. There's worms touching his face but he isn't going for them.

I've placed his mouth right on top of a soft wafer, I hope he starts to get some of it while he's breathing heavy. I'm going to keep checking on him making sure he stays on it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  7. Lunnietic

LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

My pepper cories will not actually wat blood worms. I have to feed them shrimp pellets.

I do wish you luck with the little guy.

8. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Feed it when the lights are off. Put some sinking pellets in and that might help.

Or you can feed the regular fish their food and see about sneaking the sinking pellets while they are distracted. If you have a HOB you can use the water to push the food down faster.

9. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

Mine are not picky eaters, and they have always accepted bloodworms readily, I'm wondering if they would feed better for a bit with my Neon Green Rasboras. Thanks for the good wishes.

Just sponge filters, but I do have sinking food. Just a matter of getting the little guy to eat. I'm worried he might be too far gone

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  10. FishMich

FishMichValued MemberMember

I hope your little guy makes it!!!

11. GrayGray4231

Did he eat them??

12. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

Well, I was up till 1 am with him and he didn't make it.
    I moved his siblings into my 20g with my little Kubotai and fed them in the dark, the top dwellers were none the wiser to the food. I'm so grateful for all the advice, and I will do a better to keep them well fed in the future. Thanks everyone

13. GrayGray4231

OHMYGOSH!!:emoji_tired_face::emoji_tired_face::emoji_tired_face: I am so sorry!! I wish that did not happen!! :emoji_disappointed_relieved::emoji_disappointed_relieved::emoji_disappointed_relieved:

14. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

C'est la vie. Were they more or less large fry or just juveniles? I currently have about 3 fry and 8 eggs in a net box that are going to eat micro worms and shrimp pellets. Usually to feed my adults I just put A LOT at once, so while the others are eating their flakes, some sink to the bottom and the cories eat when I don't feed shrimp pellets. Hope this helps. Sorry I was too late.

15. Cuqui

CuquiNew MemberMember

:( Oh no... I'm really sorry about your cory

16. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

I would've fed more, but my cherry barbs are absolute hogs, they will eat all the food at the bottom as well as the floating stuff. Especially the 3 biggest females, they are so fat right now but I can't stop them from zipping around and gobbling everything. I'm worried they even keep food from the other barbs

And the corys are juveniles, they are an inch and a quarter at the smallest, I've had them for a couple months. Also don't apologize, all your guys' help has hopefully saved the other 5

17. GrayGray4231

18. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

Me neither, this is my first community tank and this has been the only issue, too bad it was a fatal one

19. GrayGray4231

Yea....I really hope you have better luck if you get another one!!

20. OP
    OP
    Freshwater-Freshman

Yes, he was not able to eat any of it, he was just too weak

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice