Baby Oscar, Stress?

Hendrix Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay i bought a 1 1/2 - 2 inch oscar yesterday for my new 55 gal. tank and I introduced him when it was dark, the levels of the tank are ammonia: 0 nitrite 0 and Nitrate around 4-5. The pH is also at around 7-7.1. The question I have is about the oscar because he hangs out by the filter output diagonally, breathing fine, and fins moving well. Could it be the move that made him like this due to stress from 24 hours ago? Also he ate 2 small pellets so this shows me he's not afraid to eat. If you need any other info I'll get to you as soon as possible.

P.S. I haven't put this tank in my aquarium info either, thanks.

KewtyPatootie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on the oscar! I want one...

Yeah, I would say that is stress. Most fish take a day or two to get used to their environment, before becoming all active.

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine took about a week to move around the tank frequently, and about a week after that before it ate a whole lot... so give it about 3-4 weeks. and by then you will prlly have a begging fish on your hands swimming around the top of the tank every time your around the tank

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah and that's a big old tank for a baby oscar, so he might just feel a little nervous with so much open space. Is there anything else in there with him?

Hendrix Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
no... I don't have another tank to put the other fish in once he's grown up. If you have a recommendation for what I should do, please tell me.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He should be fine, I was just pointing out he could be a little anxious with all that free space not knowing what's out there yet.

EDIT: Also, Oscars grow... FAST. Watch from week to week, that first six inches of oscar will be here in NO TIME.

Hendrix Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeah, I know how fast they grow, I've been doing my research thanks for the info.

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats. This is totally normal. Some even lay on their side and play dead when you first get one. Actually I just got one an hour ago and he's jetting around. So each one is different. But don't worry he will adjust.

Theepum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i just got an albino oscar a few days ago, and he was pretty nervous in te new tank, after the weekend hes all over the tank and loves the bubble wall i have, swims to the bottom and rides the bubbles up again.

Hendrix Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yahoo! He's crazy now he's so active and comes to the tank every time I get close. Can't wait until he's bigger!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom