Baby Oscar listless & floating in the current

eirynne

I got two baby albino/lutino Oscar’s from petco this past Monday. They were two of the sickest fish I had ever seen (ragged fins, VERY skinny, listless, and one had a white sack on his eye) and I just couldn’t leave them at the store to die (granted I knew trying to save them had <5% chance to work anyways). To my surprise within a day of setting up their hospital tank (parameters: 0ammonia , 0nitrite, 6.8ph, 78F, 0nitrate with 10-15% water change a day & some filter media from my established tank) they came out to eat 2-3 times a day and seemed to be on the mend. We named them Burt and Ernie and at first Ernie seemed to be doing better, he was the one without the eye issue and was coming out more to eat/swim around. But here’s the question (aside from what the white thing on Burt’s eye might’ve been bc it was gone by day 2?!?!?): as of yesterday night (Saturday) Ernie seems to have taken a turn for the worse. At times I’ve thought he was dead and went to net him but he jerks awake to swim away. His body is clamped for the most part and he just floats in on the bottom in circles in the current from the filter. When I turn the filter off for feeding he lays on his side and every once in awhile will seemingly straighten up to gasp awake. When I noticed it last night I figured I would be waking up to a dead fish but he is still alive & doing the same thing. My ultimate question - is he suffering and should I consider euthanizing this poor sick baby or is there something I can do? ☹️

Will post YouTube videos of it asap

(the stuff at the bottom is bloodworms I fed for breakfast just as an FYI. I haven’t seen him eat for 2 days)

Attachments

• 14C41DC0-0F85-415D-BF77-FAB1A20C57E9.jpeg
    14C41DC0-0F85-415D-BF77-FAB1A20C57E9.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 7AA1371D-4DC8-4C23-9464-BF766AF8E7B1.jpeg
    7AA1371D-4DC8-4C23-9464-BF766AF8E7B1.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 14

Seasoldier

Hi, I don't know about suffering as such but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will recover, personally I'd euthanise it rather than let it drag on, sorry.

eirynne

Hi, I don't know about suffering as such but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will recover, personally I'd euthanise it rather than let it drag on, sorry.
Thank you for your response - I really appreciate it. I needed to hear it I think. Just buried him after euthanizing with clove oil. It was for the best ☹️

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views
Josh Summers
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views