Baby Netrite Snail In Freshwater?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by MoonsCow, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MoonsCow

MoonsCow Valued Member Member

I’ll start off by saying that I know that nitrite snails aren’t supposed to produce offspring in freshwater but will still lay eggs.
    I have a single zebra and tiger snail in the tank and haven’t added anything new to the tank in over a month except water. Ph is 7.6, hardness is unknown, and temp is 78 . I took the baby snail out and put it in the other tank with the “pest” snails.
    I figured that one of the eggs that my netrite s have laid had simply hatched as it looks like a baby netrite but it probably won’t develop well because of a lack of salt.
    I do have some sort of “pest snail” in my other tank put it is defiantly isn’t one of those as I have a bunch of them and they have a different shell shape.
    Figure I still could’ve gotten a egg at some point for a different snail that has just recentaly hatched. 634AC328-B999-4EB4-A707-BC1574701766.jpeg 275E42A4-91CA-491E-B429-FD6E3A3FEABC.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Nerites won’t reproduce in freshwater.....the first looks to be a bladder snail and the second one is a ramshorn :) probably hitchhiked on some plants.

3. OP
    OP
    MoonsCow

Ah okay I thought it was weird and I know the ramshorn came with some plants as I could see it as a tiny spec Before I added it and decided to leave it be. Guess I was just hoping for some baby netrites even though I know they aren’t supposed to reproduce in freshwater.

4. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

The pond snails are a pain, but give the ramshorn a little time, you might enjoy it. I have them and they do a great job with plant leaves (and don't eat the plants, unless there is a decayed spot on them). I think they're pretty, and they're peaceful. They might reproduce, but not like pond snails, and they are easy to take out if you don't like them. I actually ended up buying some pink ones. When they have babies, all my friends want one. :)

5. OP
    OP
    MoonsCow

Yeah I don’t really mind having him around but probably wouldn’t care for a bunch of pond snails popping up. Out of curiosity is it normal for them to float around if they happen to get dislodged; until they get some more weight to them anyways.

6. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

The ramshorn? Yes, they will float in the water column until they find something fun to grab onto. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice