Baby Mystery Snails !

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have 4, brand new, just out of the clutch 2 days ago, baby mystery snails. Tiniest, cutest little things ever. Right now I have them in a 1.5 gallon so they don't get eaten. It has a filter thats powered by very light aeration--its an awesome little tank. But I was wondering. How do I know if the little guys are doing okay? They're too small too see if they're eating the food they crawl on (I feed them snello and crushed sinking pellets, but siphon all that out at the end of the day and it looks untouched) and I don't see any snail poop unless it's too small and blends in with the crushed pellet specks. I never see them go to the top for air either. They're always out and moving around but I feel like they don't eat, poop, or breathe air. Maybe they do, but I don't see them do it. Is this normal when raising these little guys? Here's a picture of one, so cute
20180428_103316.jpg

Pringlethesnail

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They refuse to eat for their first week-10 days. They will eat microfilm algae and they will eat parts of the clutch that they came out of in this time. After that I feed them tropical wish flakes for a month or two, then they should eat meat sinking wafers from then on with optional occasional blanched veggies, or algae wafers.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pringlethesnail said:
They refuse to eat for their first week-10 days. They will eat microfilm algae and they will eat parts of the clutch that they came out of in this time. After that I feed them tropical wish flakes for a month or two, then they should eat meat sinking wafers from then on with optional occasional blanched veggies, or algae wafers.
Phew! Thank you so much lol. I will follow this routine from now on! I'm happy to know they don't eat rn, cuz I was worried I was doing something wrong. But one more question if you could be of help. These ones are out of the clutch and I have yet to see any more come out for 2 days now. Any steps I should take? I see people break it open and shake it in the water.. is this safe to do??

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all! So I have been posting in the Freshwater Invertebrates section asking all about my mystery snail clutch and babies! I have been getting help, however, not as much as I'm so desperately wanting!! I have a couple questions about this clutch and these babies and I'm really, really hoping someone can answer them. So first of all, babies have been emerging from the clutch for almost a week now. The first 3 days, I was finding them outside the clutch everyday. Then, 2 days in a row, they stopped appearing. But then today I found 2 more--there are 7 total out of the clutch. I'm wondering, when is it safe to break open the clutch and gently shake the rest out into the water? I see/hear people do this a lot, but I'm afraid I don't know when it is safe to do so. Is this even safe? Secondly, should I be worried that I haven't seen them go to the top for air at all since they've been in the water? They're always out, roaming around, but only go half way up this 1.5g tank I temporarily have them in. Should I lower the water line? Sorry for the long post, I just want my questions to be clear. Any feedback would be so greatly appreciated! Here's one little guy
20180428_103316.jpg

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mystery/Apple snails rely on very high humidity anbd equally high heat for any clutch to be consistently hatching. Even regular kitchen plastic wrap on top of your tank gaps/holes/accesses can be used to trap a significant amount of humidity and heat, therefore stimulating and accelerating the eggs. But try NOT to open the lid (if you have one that is) until you see that all eggs have hatched.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does ANYONE know quite a bit about mystery snails? I've been asking for days now, and I have yet to receive an answer. I feel like not a lot of people are seeing my posts or something, so I'm gonna try posting here. Please, if you know the mystery snail pretty well, please comment!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Sorry you haven’t been getting any responses! What where you curious about regarding these snails?

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KinsKicks said:
Hello!

Sorry you haven’t been getting any responses! What where you curious about regarding these snails?
Lol sorry, I just re-read my post and realized how upset I seem. I just really, really want to know: I've seen tons of YouTube videos and read a lot of posts of people submerging their clutch underwater and lightly shaking it to release the rest of the baby snails. Is this safe to do? When is it safe to do? Do I even need to do this? Also, what do I feed them when they actually decide to eat? Snello? Crushed fish food? Some sort of calcium source? And, sorry one last thing, should I be worried about them escaping at this age? They're like a week old. None have escaped yet but I'm wondering if I should take action to prevent it. Thank you so much for the reply btw! Any help would be so much appreciated!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1) you can do that, but if your humidity/moisture is high enough, most can easily get out themselves. The only time I’ll give a little shake is if I notice a majority of them have already come off, and the ones that get stuck in the middle/core of the clutch need some help getting out of that mass. Most of the time, you don’t have to shake, but you can to get off the stragglers (so shaking is something you do after most of the clutch has already hatched out)

2) Snail-O is fine (I keep some in those tanks with mystery snails anyhow, and they’ll munch on it). If you don’t have any prepared, fresh veggies (dark leafy greens, lettuce*, squash/zucchini/cucumber medallions) that have been blanched are very good for nutrients as well.

3) As for calcium, especially for developing babies, I add a cuttlebone piece (you can get them online or find them in pet stores under the bird section; just make sure it’s just the cuttlebone and not any added flavours)

4) Dont worry to much about escaping; there’s not a real drive for them to leave unless you’re water conditions are so bad that they are forced to leave or they want to lay their clutch (which they’re too young to do). If it helps set your mind at piece, you can definitely add some sort of cover (hood, canopy, glass lid, egg crate, etc) to reduce escape However...these snails are sorta smart; they’ll stick to the environment with the food!

Hope this helps!

*edit: might want to avoid lettuce for now considering the E. coli breakout

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KinsKicks said:
1) you can do that, but if your humidity/moisture is high enough, most can easily get out themselves. The only time I’ll give a little shake is if I notice a majority of them have already come off, and the ones that get stuck in the middle/core of the clutch need some help getting out of that mass. Most of the time, you don’t have to shake, but you can to get off the stragglers (so shaking is something you do after most of the clutch has already hatched out)

2) Snail-O is fine (I keep some in those tanks with mystery snails anyhow, and they’ll munch on it). If you don’t have any prepared, fresh veggies (dark leafy greens, lettuce*, squash/zucchini/cucumber medallions) that have been blanched are very good for nutrients as well.

3) As for calcium, especially for developing babies, I add a cuttlebone piece (you can get them online or find them in pet stores under the bird section; just make sure it’s just the cuttlebone and not any added flavours)

4) Dont worry to much about escaping; there’s not a real drive for them to leave unless you’re water conditions are so bad that they are forced to leave or they want to lay their clutch (which they’re too young to do). If it helps set your mind at piece, you can definitely add some sort of cover (hood, canopy, glass lid, egg crate, etc) to reduce escape However...these snails are sorta smart; they’ll stick to the environment with the food!

Hope this helps!

*edit: might want to avoid lettuce for now considering the E. coli breakout
Dang, thank you so much! And just like that all my questions have been answered! Lol seriously though I really appreciate it. I'm still pretty new to snails so I want that reassurance, yknow? So thank you for giving me that!

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know apple snails, my current one is one I actually bred myself. =D
You can also feed them algae wafers. They shouldn't touch your live plants. I agree with fresh veggies. Their shells will end up in bad condition if you have soft water, it needs to be hard, no matter how much calcium they get the soft water is acidic. I've found mine of the floor once, I find they're great for watching the water parameters, they don't like ammonia and will leave before it's toxic enough for fish in my case. They need at least 15cm of clear space above the water line to lay their eggs, and definately need some air space since they breath air, not water. Decent air flow should be allowed, so if you want a hood or cover try mesh. They can get stressed out and bullied to death by other fish, particularly things like feeder fish which like pecking them... That's how I lost my snails mother. =[
They're cold water snails, you'll get up to 10 years in cold water, but they'll be less active. In hot water, like a tropical tank, you can get 1-3 years and they'll need more food. Sorry, I missed all your other posts, I love my apple snail. =D They're not hermephrodites and need a mate to breed, though sometimes females lay infertile clutches or hold eggs for months until conditions are right. I personally have diffusa, the smallest kind, they're only the size of a ping pong ball.

This is the site I used to get started for my apple snails!

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
InsanityShard said:
I know apple snails, my current one is one I actually bred myself. =D
You can also feed them algae wafers. They shouldn't touch your live plants. I agree with fresh veggies. Their shells will end up in bad condition if you have soft water, it needs to be hard, no matter how much calcium they get the soft water is acidic. I've found mine of the floor once, I find they're great for watching the water parameters, they don't like ammonia and will leave before it's toxic enough for fish in my case. They need at least 15cm of clear space above the water line to lay their eggs, and definately need some air space since they breath air, not water. Decent air flow should be allowed, so if you want a hood or cover try mesh. They can get stressed out and bullied to death by other fish, particularly things like feeder fish which like pecking them... That's how I lost my snails mother. =[
They're cold water snails, you'll get up to 10 years in cold water, but they'll be less active. In hot water, like a tropical tank, you can get 1-3 years and they'll need more food. Sorry, I missed all your other posts, I love my apple snail. =D They're not hermephrodites and need a mate to breed, though sometimes females lay infertile clutches or hold eggs for months until conditions are right. I personally have diffusa, the smallest kind, they're only the size of a ping pong ball.

This is the site I used to get started for my apple snails!
Wow! Thank you so much! A lot of this, I've taken care of already, left space above the water line, got them fresh veggies, have them in hard water (where I live the water is hard). But also a lot of this is great info I will be keeping in mind for my snail I love all my snails! I have 1 Black mystery, 1 Golden mystery, 1 Ivory mystery, and 1 Gold/Ivory mystery (she's like half yellow half white and just laid a clutch this morning!) and now, 7 Golden Mystery babies! I'm very excited to be raising these little guys! Sorry for the desperate questions everyone, I just have a love for aquatic creatures that will never change, so I wanna do my very best for them

Ohio Mark said:
Watching with interest, having just got my first mystery snails.
They are such awesome creatures! Especially their breeding process, I've never been so interested in babies! Lol, seriously though, very fun and very cute!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom