Baby Mystery Snail Help.

Discussion in 'Snails' started by DAYNAMITE, Jun 13, 2019.

1. DAYNAMITE

DAYNAMITENew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I bought some aquarium plants recently that had eight very tiny snails with them, I'm fairly sure they are apple snails.

I would like to raise them but I'm not too sure what to do, what I have done is put them in a 5 gallon tank with a heater and some flakes, and some lettuce and also a piece of wood with a fair bit of algae on it.

I have been doing a water change every day and aerating the water a few times a day. I don't have a filter in there as I'm not sure if it is safe for the snails.

Today they seem to be less active so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong..I have the temperature at 26 degrees..is this ok?

Also how much food exactly should I be adding..they don't seem to eat much so I have e been putting in a flake or two of food and just trying to put it near them.
    They do seem to like the algae on the stick though.

Any advice or help on how to feed and care for these would be great.

They are very tiny like sesame seed size.

Thanks.

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Pics?

More than likely they are not mystery snails.

(A filter is safe for the snails, btw)

3. OP
    OP
    DAYNAMITE

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't even think it would be possible to see them in the picture they are to small I could try in the morning...it's 00:43 in the morning here and I'm too lazy to get out of bed and get a picture.

They have a very round body and I can see that they have long tentacles..there is also another very tiny snail that I think is either a pond or assassin snail.

What makes you say its most likely mystery snails?

And thanks for the quick reply.

4. OP
    OP
    DAYNAMITE

Ratings:
    +2
    I mean most likely not mystery snails.

5. Robes

RobesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah pictures would help identify them to be sure. A filter is perfectly safe any snail, i use a sponge filter for my snail tank but a HOB is fine (though if theyre tiny tiny put a pad/bag/something over the intake so they can't crawl up it).

I feed my snails blanched spinach and keep a piece of cuttlebone in the tank to dissolve/them to munch on otherwise its all algae.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Mystery snails lay their eggs above the water line. When they hatch they are miniature colorful copies of the adults and are easily visible with the naked eye (still tiny though).

If they arrived on a plant I'm guessing you have ramshorn snails.

7. OP
    OP
    DAYNAMITE

Ratings:
    +2

8. OP
    OP
    DAYNAMITE

Ratings:
    +2
    Jeez I think you might be right they look exactly like tiny versions of that..I'm not very familiar with snails..I have only ever had nerite snails...I presumed they were mystery snails because of the long tentacles and when I ordered the plants I also ordered a couple of mystery snails so they all came together..I might of jumped the gun a bit.

Are ramshorn snails pretty similar to care for? Temperature an food wise?

9. Robes

RobesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ramshorns you can forget are even in the tank and you'll have hundreds in no time, im pretty sure if you actively tried to kill them you couldn't..

10. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Ramshorn snail care is extremely easy. They thrive at just about any temperature or water parameters and will eat anything. They also reproduce rapidly.

I keep them in all my tanks, they're good about eating algae and leftover food.

11. OP
    OP
    DAYNAMITE

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh that's good

Oh that's good then I'll try best to keep them alive anyways.

Do they mix well with other snails?And also how quickly should I expect their growth rate to be?

So would I need the heater at all or would it be best to keep it warmer for growth and appetite?

12. SnailsGalore

SnailsGaloreValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    1 year
    They do great with other snails. And their growth depends on the temperature and amount of food. I keep my ramshorn-only tank at room temperature so I can slow down the population a little bit. But they’ll thrive in tropical temperatures as well. They’ll just grow faster, and their life span will be a tad shorter. Mine grow to full size in a couple of months.

Become a Fishlore Member