Baby Molly

1. Paddy's Pond

Paddy's Pond New Member Member

So! I just recently got a new 20g aquarium. Currently there is only one fish in it, a balloon molly that I moved from my other tank. Tonight as I was turning off the light I noticed there was a tiny little fish, what looks like a molly, hiding in the plant. A baby?? It must be, unless it from an egg on the bamboo plant I added about a week ago. But it looks like a molly.

My questions are: I know mollies are live bearers, how many do they usually have? What should I do to keep it safe? I didn't really want another molly, but it is my first homegrown offspring so I'm excited!

The next fish I was going to add to the new tank is a school of maybe 6 cardinal tetras, do you think they will eat it?

2. m

mollybabes Well Known Member Member

How big is it?
    The mother may have eaten the others, or if she is young she may have only had 3-4(That's what I was told)
    Is there a male in the other tank?
    Get some java moss to let it hide
    the tetras will eat it if it will fit in their mouths. If it doesn't they may still chase it(At least my mollies chase my babies), but that's okay providing it can hide somewhere.

3. a

ahmad.echols Valued Member Member

There is a chamce they might not eat it if you have the tank heavily planted/decorated but tbh they probably will anyway if u keep it make sure you put sinking food in the tank so it wont hAve to surface for food.

4. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Mollies can have up to a hundred fry but they will eat them so they need to be separate from the parents immediately

5. a

ahmad.echols Valued Member Member

They can have alot of babies , or they can have a few.

6. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

Just wondering can I put two male mollies together with no females will they fight?
    And can they be kept alone

7. OP
    OP
    Paddy's Pond

Paddy's Pond New Member Member

Ok so this morning there are at least a dozen babies in the tank. I saw mom chase a few but she didn't eat them. There's a big plant, a piece of gnarly driftwood, and a rock with some nooks and crannies so there are some hiding places. I put some sinking cichlid pellets in because the adult molly only eats the flakes at the top. I'm thinking about taking mom out and putting her back in the tank she came from while the babies grow.