Baby molly having shimmies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kendra, Mar 18, 2012.

1. KendraNew MemberMember

hi all it's me again. One of my baby fish has gone missing so i only have 4 of them now
    My baby mollies are 3 weeks now
    2 days ago i noticed two baby fish shaking their body side ways when i fed them egg yolk and they were kind of tangled up(like they were dancing together). I thought it's a sign of them being excited of getting food so I didnt take too much notice
    This afternoon the sign appeared again when I fed them and one of my babies is swimming verticle (head up tail down)
    I can see them having pink gills (i dont knw if that's abnormal or normal for baby fish). At first I thought it's just cause they are still young and kind of transparent
    I also noticed they rub against plants(like quickly accelerate and jump up when they hit the plant). Their mother does that and I thought it's just a playful behaviour
    My question is, does this match symptoms of shimmy? or maybe most of the behaviours are normal for molly fries? thank you
    p.s. I did a 25% water change two days ago. I dont know my water parameter now

2. I_Have_Fissues

I_Have_FissuesNew MemberMember

You definitely need to figure out your water parameters. I do know that mollies like salt, so if you haven't added any aquarium salt, do so. That'll help regardless, especially if it is the shimmies, which is a lack of electrolytes in the water. Salt will raise that.

You might also want to try offering up a bit of powered flake food or frozen baby brine as well as egg yolk.

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice