Baby Molly dying

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Baskerville, Jul 20, 2015.

1. B

Baskerville New Member Member

So I have two clown loaches and I took on board some some young Molly about 6 of them and there about 3 cm long as soon as I put them in the tank they were fine acting normal few days gone by now there sat at the bottom barely moving then this morning two were dead and one dead one was being ate by the clown loach why is this ...

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

How big is your tank? Clown loaches need to be in a group of six and need a HUGE tank - they grow to a foot long.

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Man, you live in England too? We have so many people on here from the U.K. and England and I want to visit there so bad!!! I'm jealous haha!

Agree with the above poster. Also, it would've been best off if they had been put into their own separate tank until they were big enough to fend for themselves. Also what are your water parameters and what test kit are you using?

4. OP
    OP
    B

I have an 80 litre tank but I am getting s brand new 180litre tank at the end of the month so there just there there not big all at the moment

5. BornThisWayBettas

I'm afraid that, to my knowledge, even a 180 liter tank isn't going to be enough for a proper school of clown loaches.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Local pet store said they will be okay god

7. BornThisWayBettas

Yeah, I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but more often than not your pet stores will just tell you whatever to get you to buy something. Happens to so, so many members on here. But I'm afraid most pet stores are just in it for the money.

8. OP
    OP
    B

What should I do

9. BornThisWayBettas

Well, I'd try to rehome the clown loaches if you aren't going to get a MUCH larger tank. I know this is very hard, but in the end, it's the best chance you can give them if you can't provide the necessary housing.

Also, I would buy a liquid test kit, something like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Avoid test strips as these are inaccurate. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit will test for pH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites.

And do you have any mollies left?

10. OP
    OP
    B

I have 4 left

11. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, the truth is most pet stores just tell you what you want to hear so you'll buy from them, the only pet stores that really don't lie too often are locally owned ones. The best thing you can do is to read up on the fish before you buy it.

What are you water parameters in your tank? I would recommend using the API Liquid Freshwater Master Test kit if you don't already own one.

12. BornThisWayBettas

Do you have any where good you can put them to keep them safe? Where they won't be in danger of clown loaches? Like another heated, filtered tank?

13. OP
    OP
    B

No I don't :/

14. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

The best thing you can do is to re home the clown loaches or see if the fish store you bought them from will take them back, because they will out grow your tank and future tank anyway.

Your mollies could have died from ammonia poisoning or something, we won't know for a fact until you can tell us what your water parameters are like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice