Baby Mollies Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by anaugle, Apr 12, 2010.

1. anaugle

anaugleValued MemberMember

I just found 11 baby Mollies in my tank. :p I saved 5...my question is.... How often do you feed the fry?

2. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Congrats and Welcome to fishlore! :)

Most people agree between 3-6 small feedings per day, at least while they're young. I do 3-4 coz I'm busy with uni and work, but while I was on holidays I did 6 per day with my first batch of platy fry (I'm up to my 4th batch now- all from the same female with no male present). So I guess it's just what works for you :)

3. OP
    OP
    anaugle

Thanks.This is my first fry batch..... I'm very excited

4. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Congrats and welcome to Fishlore!

5. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Just another tip with feeding the fry, there is a chance your nitrates could go up coz of all the extra food (and also probably coz I feed frozen brineshrimp sometimes too), so I like to test their water each week just to make sure I'm staying on top of it with water changes :) People say clean water helps them to grow and develop healthily, which makes sense :)

6. OP
    OP
    anaugle

Ive been changing the water everyday because there is so much food in there. Is this too much? When should I put them with the other fish? They seem to be growing but I look at them constantly so I don't know. They are eating and pooping(which is tooooo cute to watch the iddy biddies:;hug2 )

7. OP
    OP
    anaugle

UPDATE!!!!! All babies have died! :( The last one today. I'm sure she'll have more but.........it's sad to see them gone. They put a smile on my face everyday. They will be missed.

8. RhanWell Known MemberMember

Oh I am so sorry to hear that :( :;hug2

Fry can be so fragile, and you alway seem to lose at least a few :( I've lost some myself to reasons unknown and it's always hard :(

9. timmygt33Valued MemberMember

I have about 35 mollie fry in a fry tank with RCS.
    I havent lost any yet, even the runty looking ones, not sure why you lost them.
    I just keep stable temp and good water parameters, small feedings and there happy and getting big ad healthy!
    Better luck next time

10. OP
    OP
    anaugle

Thx guys!! ♥ I hope there is a next time and some survive. I love fry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice