Baby Mollies

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though for some silly reason I assume the pet store kept male and female mollies separate like they do with guppies... I have a collection of baby mollies now. I'm both excited and a bit concerned. How many would reasonably be expected to survive? Tank has 4 mollies, a rubber-lipped pleco, a bunch of assassin snails, and some random RCS. Thanks!
20190913_193206[1].jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bithimala said:
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though for some silly reason I assume the pet store kept male and female mollies separate like they do with guppies... I have a collection of baby mollies now. I'm both excited and a bit concerned. How many would reasonably be expected to survive? Tank has 4 mollies, a rubber-lipped pleco, a bunch of assassin snails, and some random RCS. Thanks!View attachment 587611
No way to say how many will survive. If they have plants to hide in, a few will survive. If you have male and female Mollies in the tank, you will keep having new baby Mollies. You might want to find new homes for either the males or the females (including the babies when they get old enough to tell the gender), if you don't want your tank to become over crowded.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Momgoose56 said:
No way to say how many will survive. If they have plants to hide in, a few will survive. If you have male and female Mollies in the tank, you will keep having new baby Mollies. You might want to find new homes for either the males or the females (including the babies when they get old enough to tell the gender), if you don't want your tank to become over crowded.
Yep, definitely need to separate them. As I said, false assumption on my part. Just trying to figure out how many fry I'm going to need to worry about as well Poor thing, looks like I ended up with one female to three males. She'll be moved today.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bithimala said:
Yep, definitely need to separate them. As I said, false assumption on my part. Just trying to figure out how many fry I'm going to need to worry about as well Poor thing, looks like I ended up with one female to three males. She'll be moved today.
Lol, you never said how many you have so there's no way to guess how many will survive. Usually, in a lightly stocked tank with similar sized omnivorous fish, with light planting and well fed fish 1/4 to 1/2 will survive. In a heavily planted tank (dense thin leafed foliage near the surface) many more will survive.

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Momgoose56 said:
Lol, you never said how many you have so there's no way to guess how many will survive. Usually, in a lightly stocked tank with similar sized omnivorous fish, with light planting and well fed fish 1/4 to 1/2 will survive. In a heavily planted tank (dense thin leafed foliage near the surface) many more will survive.
Sorry, 4 adults, now 3 since I moved over the poor girl. Moderately planted as most of the plants are still growing in at this point and the duck weed isn't very thick. I think it's about 20 babies, but hard to count, lol. They get fed once a day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom