Baby Kuhli Loaches??? Help 

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello,

I'm a massive fan of this website and being relatively new to keeping Tropical Fish I cant thank the members here enough for previous questions & answers (can you tell I think this is a tough question yet?), so...

I've just completed a water change today and cleaned the filter media, just before throwing the water away I noticed several squiggily lines moving about near the surface of the water. They vary in size, between 2-4mm in length, they look a light red, almost pinky in colour and very thin.

I would like to think that these are baby Kuhli Loaches, but with the apparent toughness to get them to breed I'm yet to see any information on their babies, Any information would be a great help (maybe a picture?) Or if there are any idea's on what these creatures could be?

Thank you in advance...

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jaysee said:
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, a picture would be helpful....
I think OP's request is for YOU to post a pic, not an offer for him to.

Welcome, OP. Are they too small, or could you get a photo?

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I struggle to get a decent picture of the fully grown Kuhli's, these guys would be impossible due to their size (they are about as thick as this line ===> | <=== and around that length too). If they arent baby Loaches, could it be anything else?

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
it could be anything really! Some things hitchhike into your tank... take a look at my 10G... it has snails! But I hope it is baby kuhlies!

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really hope its Baby Kuhli's too, favourite fish in the tank. The only food I've ever added is flakes, Algae Pellets & Dried Bloodworms, although I did find that a snail hitched a ride on one of the 3 plants afew months back, of which I now have 14 snails but they are fine for the moment.

I Tried to take a picture but it isnt clear, although it might be the camera, tried to take a picture of the baby Zebra Danio's but even that was fuzzy! Wish I knew what these wriggily creatures were, might do a google search for aquarium lifeforms to see if that helps...

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just had a look at Planaria, they are still too small to tell if that is what it is, but still possible, going by the lack of baby kuhli loaches I think this seems more likely...

kefman86

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
does it show the striped markings like the kuhli's? went to my LFS for some supplies and they had extremly tiny ones and i noticed that they had their markings as the older ones do

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's a video of a few day old baby kuhli-

There's two more videos where they have grown up a bit.

Maybe this helps?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you use any sources of water from outside to fill your tank in water changes? I did this once and found I had tiny mosquito larvae in the tank wiggling around. They are the size you describe and were grey/brown in colour with no features.
They ended up a tasty feast for 20 odessa barb fry I had in the tank at the time

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Butterfly said:
Cool video fish'd! These yours?
Carol
I wish, lol

I do have a lady loach with eggs, but not enough success yet for little ones... which is why I'm going to be jealous of the OP if they are baby loaches.

However, thinking about it now, the few day old baby kuhlis are about 7mm, the video poster says. They don't sound like babies unless they were just born. I think it's just some sort of worm, but I'm no expert.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish'd said:
I wish, lol

I do have a lady loach with eggs, but not enough success yet for little ones... which is why I'm going to be jealous of the OP if they are baby loaches.

However, thinking about it now, the few day old baby kuhlis are about 7mm, the video poster says. They don't sound like babies unless they were just born. I think it's just some sort of worm, but I'm no expert.
Just wondered didn't see any credits for it given so thought it might be yours.
Was going to pick your brain
Carol

Rigolle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for all the posts, unfortunately there are no markings and watching these guys they seem to have the ability to "stretch" in length, which I don't think Kuhli's would, so its possible it might be Planaria or something similar.

I'll keep them out of the main tank for another week or so, but I'm 99% sure its not Kuhli's. They are by far the best fish in my tank, and for them to breed would be amazing but I think if they did, it'd be a case of one day seeing a smaller one swimming around as opposed to finding them when they are tiny.

It's great to see how excited people get at the thought of Baby Kuhli's, I'd be the same (with quite abit of jealousy too lol), if there is any progress I'll let you know, but for now I'll concentrate on the Zebra Danio Fry that I found, I've got around 20 of various sizes, just need to find them a home...

Thank you again,

Dan

liz1123

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was searching online to find out what we have in our tank and was shocked to hear you describe what you have! I think we have the same thing??!! They seem to come out of the rocks in the dark so when we turn the tank lite on we see them. I scooped them out and took the to the fish store, they told us we had parasites and we treated the tank. Its been a week and tonite we came home late and I turned our tank on to see that they are still there! :/ So confused and worried, our fish do not seem to be affected by these worm things?..but I am more disgusted by the minute wondering how/why we have them. Have you had any success in figuring out what they are. I have clean/ siphoned out the tank and taken them out but there are still more in there. I thought they were baby Kuhlis but now after reading all the posts i dont believe they are either. I guess I am headed back to the fish store tomorrow to have the tank water tested, very concerned about this worm if its not coming from my fish than it must be coming from my water??!! EWWW, so freaked out right now. But I am a little relieved that there is someone else out there with the same problem. Please let me know if you have found out anything else

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom